Heightfield scatter gives floating and sinked points

2143   5   0
10 posts
Hi,
I'm learning Houdini and I try using a heightfield scatter node after I masked a certain area following the fundementals pdf.
However, the points it generates have a seemingly random offset either up or down. Some points are floating above the terrain and some are below it. I tried to partially solve this with a ray node but even then I get missing rays which result again, in floating points.
Anyone that can help me?
31 posts
Did you resolve this issue? The same thing happens for me.
900 posts
I rmb I had some similar problem but don't recall how I had fixed it.

Anyway, if you want more chances of being helped in the forum try to provide a project file with the issue reproduced in the simplest way possible. (= delete all the unnecessary nodes to reproduce the issue)
It takes a little bit of time I know, but it's helps a lot to debug the problems (-:

cheers
10 posts
When I posted this question I also asked this in the discord channel. Back then I got the following reply from cakesson.

@MrFlopsie The scatter on height field tolerance issues is a bug that is set to be fixed in the next major release.

If you output polys from heightfield, you can fix this easily, by feeding the points and the terrain mesh into a point wrangle and run this:
int posprim;
vector param_uv;
float maxdist = 20;
float dist = xyzdist(1,@P,posprim,param_uv,maxdist);
vector pos = primuv(1,“P”,posprim,param_uv);
@P = pos;
The above can be learned here: http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=465 [www.toadstorm.com]

Not sure if said bug has been fixed, since I haven't used the software in a few months.
Also can't remember if I ever got it working with this solution.
31 posts
Thanks, I guess it might be related to height fields being implemented as voxels, and each voxel has a thickness, causing the imprecision, or something like that. I'll use some workaround for now then, until the issue has been fixed.
40 posts
hey guys,

maybe its of any help, i had the same problem for 8 hours now… been searching in 1 straight pull.. just to figure out the object file i was using to copy to the points wasn't centered intself.

so everything was al over the place

because of that it looked like al the points where above and under the map but it was showing the rotation i had put in with the stamp node.

kinda new to this so its a pretty beginners mistake i guess if this is the problem.
  • Quick Links