Baking displacement form hi res mesh not working

1672   2   0
76 posts
Hello everyone,
i am trying to bake the surface detail of this hi res mesh on the low poly one with no success, i followed the texture masterclass which explains the baking process but can't really see why it's not working.

Any help woul dbe much appreciated
Francesco

here the hip file

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5e3d4a141a23ff436b49ce3c88fb4c7b20180814161054/26529d50ae40f1e897c9d2a1b5e535af20180814161054/8c8200 [wetransfer.com]
Staff
418 posts
- There are polygons with more than 4 sides in your low-res mesh. For MikkT tangents to produce consistent result (and for compatibility with outside applications), you should use divide SOP to make sure everything is quads or triangles (preferably triangles)

- The material assignment appears backwards: the high-res object (the one you're baking) should have the material that you're trying to bake, and low-res object should not have any material assignment (or a simple principled/classic shader that does not have any displacement). Also, please make sure that the material on the high-res object is using principled/classic shader. UV Quickshade shader does not have any bake exports, hence the missing data in some channels. If you wish to build/use a custom material, you should insert a bake exports VOP.

- Please keep in mind that if the low-res mesh surface is above the high-res surface, then the resulting displacement values will be negative. If you're extracting into image format that does not support negative number, then those values will be lost.

- I noticed that baketexture3 ROP is using “UV match” unwrap method? It can work as long as both objects have identical UV layout, but I'd recommend using “UV to surface” or “trace closest surface” mode unless you're trying to export vector displacement (Vd).
76 posts
A lot of information here, thank you very much for you time, I will follow and keep trying!
  • Quick Links