Shading and/or lighting tutorials

6005   10   2
319 posts
Hello,

Can you guys recommend any links to free shading and/or lighting tutorials that are up to date (16.0 onward)? I am keen to improve my knowledge in these areas but I'm having trouble finding many tutorials on these specific topics for the newer releases.

Thanks!

Dean.
60 posts
Hey there Dean,

Depending on where you're currently at with Lighting/Shading, my free course - Houdini For The New Artist might be relevant to what you're looking for. I don't go into a ton of detail, but I do cover the basics on how to apply materials, rendering, & adjust things like light linking.

If you're interested, feel free to check it out on CG Circuit: https://www.cgcircuit.com/tutorial/houdini-for-the-new-artist [www.cgcircuit.com]

Right now I'm also making a Houdini For The New Artist Part II that goes over more shading/lighting, so also be on the lookout for that.

Hope that helps!

- Tyler
319 posts
I'll check it out. Cheers!
146 posts
I really think there is a considerable demand for tutorials on the new Mantra shading paradigm (16.0+) for newcomers and a shortage of them covering the topic…
248 posts
Hey guys! I am recording those as we speak.
Here's my take on what's to come first week of September of recordings on the topic:

• Intro to shading, light setup, procedural building of materials.
  • No-UV approach with triplanar setups; setting up normals and displacement.
  • Building custom materials using Mantra built-in noises, simple noise and colour math within Mantra, ramps, colorization of greyscale information.
  • Bevel shader, AO shader, curvature at rendertime and using other nodes to build materials

I expect those to be free, distributed on YT (maybe on udemy as well, if some one prefers that). Let me know if you need something particular, I'll try to squeeze suggestions into a series of educational videos.
ps - H16.5, /mat context in case anyone was wondering
Edited by osong - Aug. 28, 2018 11:46:48
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
248 posts
Also looking forward to what Tyler's preparing too. Never hurts to gain some knowledge of someone else's workflows and setups
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
146 posts
glitchi
Hey guys! I am recording those as we speak.
Here's my take on what's to come first week of September of recordings on the topic:

• Intro to shading, light setup, procedural building of materials.
  • No-UV approach with triplanar setups; setting up normals and displacement.
  • Building custom materials using Mantra built-in noises, simple noise and colour math within Mantra, ramps, colorization of greyscale information.
  • Bevel shader, AO shader, curvature at rendertime and using other nodes to build materials

I expect those to be free, distributed on YT (maybe on udemy as well, if some one prefers that). Let me know if you need something particular, I'll try to squeeze suggestions into a series of educational videos.
ps - H16.5, /mat context in case anyone was wondering
Personally, I couldn't ask for more!
8 posts
You can refer to the below tutorial

cmivfx. com/houdini-shading-and-rendering

Regards,
Adrian Gates
Web Designer
Edited by chrism - Sept. 19, 2022 11:37:24
2036 posts
@AdrianG001

I believe that video tutorial is from 2009, original poster was hoping for something done with 16.0 +
3 posts
i'm also in need of shader building tutorials…there doesn't seem to be ANY that goes into details…even the documentation.
24 posts
hello,
I'm looking for tutorials for NPR - mainly painterly renderings. I'm looking for a look like in Loving Vincent [www.youtube.com]. Well guess what, I cannot afford myself so many real painters.
I'm reading trough some papers from Litwinowicz or Meier but I'm struggling to adopt the knowledge to houdini for shader creation.
Are there any tutorials on that topic?
Thank you.
  • Quick Links