Moving a scattered geo to the direction of Normals?

2255   4   1
2 posts
Hi all,

I scattered points on the “testgeometry_rubbertoy” and added a Trail to get the (v) attribute

I want these points to move by the directions of the normals.

I tried wrangler ( @v = @N

and tried point VOP.

seems nothing is moving even in the geometry spreadsheet I have the velocity attribute is changing over time.
Image Not Found

Attachments:
Screenshot 2018-08-31 01.01.58.jpg (551.9 KB)

125 posts
you don' t seem to have any simulation happening here that I can tell so no way to accumulate any movement on the points. @v = @N and so it is everafter.
However you may be looking in the correct direction. There are probably a gazillion ways to do this.

Hope this may point you toward some non simulated options. You could also take this into a solver perhaps or do in a POP for time based action by adding fractions of @N to the points.

at some point, either with simulation or without you need to add the normal to the point position.
this example uses a mix node and attribute transfer to get the normal data from the poly to the point.

hope it is helpful

jammer

Attachments:
pos_addNormal.hipnc (237.3 KB)

336 posts
Here's look at how you would do that with a solver, adding v to each previous frame for illustration purposes

Attachments:
solver_NtoV.hip (137.0 KB)

47 posts
And an alternative way to do this without a solver is to throw down a point wrangle a type in:
@P = @P + @N * @Frame;

Thats it. You don't need an @v attribute to make them “move”, although now if you want to use these points “velocities” to drive something else you could throw down a trail sop after your point wrangle and set it to get v, which is just the difference in each point's position between two frames.

I say “move” because again your not simulating anything now, your just basically adding the normal of each point onto its own position, whatever that position was at frame 1. You are also scaling the normal by a variable which happens to be the frame number, but that variable could be anything.

You may want to add an addition term in the above equation to keep the points from “moving” too fast. For instance:
float term = 0.1;
@P = @P + @N * @Frame * term;
But this is entirely up to you.
Edited by mbbuckley - Sept. 5, 2018 15:20:40
2 posts
thanks, everyone for the help

it works

• Quick Links