Command Exit Code : 3

8847   7   3
87 posts
I keep getting this error when doing quick renders in the viewport. I usually can't use the default renderer after a couple of test renders, so I drop in a ROP with a Mantra node, and use that instead. Usually if the default render stops working, I'll get an error with the Mantra node too, and most of the time it will be “Command Exit Code :3”
What is causing this? My current scene is a very small amount of particles, one light, a grid and a few most light things, the simulation cooks immediately, nothing too fancy

Alex
Staff
1448 posts
Usually, exit code 3 means some licensing issues. Perhaps there is already a renderer running (and apprentice users have only one render license, so only one mantra can run at the time, though that one mantra can be multithreaded) or the license is not being returned quickly enough (though that should not happen).

You can try reconfiguring Houdini to use local licensing mode:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=273 [sidefx.com]
87 posts
That would make sense, because restarting Houdini fixes the problem.

However the instructions on the page you mention are slightly obscure to me when it comes to the $HFS part. How do I access that directory? I'm on OSX, and I tried unpacking the Houdini.app, but nothing in there apparently.

Thanks!
Alex
349 posts
I usually keep task manager open before firing off any render. You can see the mantra.exe in the list. if it is there before you render, then stop that process before you fire off a render.

I tend to stop most unimportant processes before rendering to free up ram for Mantra so thats why I keep task manager open. Its a good way of working.

Edit: Whoops misread that, your on OSX. Dont know about OSX at all, so I dont know what they call Task manager.
Staff
1448 posts
$HFS is an environment variable that points to the houdini configuration files. On OSX by default it is:
HardDrive > /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/houdini
1 posts
Guys,

I am having the same issue
Error
Command Exit Code: 3

When i use Baketexture to export displacement maps. Any idea how to fix this? For me it just does not work even after closing Houdini or restarting the workstation or checking to see if there is already mantra running. But Redshift works fine.
Indivfx
Modeler Animator Compositor
80 posts
Could it be related to the resolution limit when rendering in Indie? I remember having similar problems (with quick render) when using the Non-Commercial version a while back.
2 posts
I have found that this error code pops up when my Antivirus software is blocking a Houdini Process like Mantra or MPlay. You have to unblock the process and it runs A-OK.
  • Quick Links