REPLACED BY?

2533   4   1
80 posts
In exhelp the requested command's declaration is immediately followed by “REPLACED BY” and a list of I am assuming Python commands that do the same thing.

Is that to be taken as a warning?
Edited by Rebus B - Sept. 8, 2018 13:46:25
8532 posts
the phrasing is probably from the times of H9 when we all were told that in a few years Hscript expressions may be fully replaced by Python
but obviously things worked out differently and nowadays you can see that not only they are not replaced but they are used even strongly and there were more hscript expressions added
the may reason may be (definitely personally) that hscript expressions are shorter to write and in a lot of cases faster to evaluate than equivalent Python

similarly for hscript commands
Houdini sort of runs on Hscript Commands so they can't go anywhere
also there are still hscript functions or commands with no equivalent Python function

so no I wouldn't say a warning
but it's definitely beneficial to know what's equivalent in Python as for a lot of cases Python is the way to go especially for HDA scripts, menus or more complex expressions
Edited by tamte - Sept. 8, 2018 14:13:07
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
80 posts
That is good. Having cut my teeth on C code I would miss the semi-colons and curly brackets!
69 posts
Lol. Semicolons… I was wondering the same thing about Python replacing Hscript. Seems it just didn't happen.
2036 posts
Lol. Semicolons… I was wondering the same thing about Python replacing Hscript. Seems it just didn't happen.

You can if you want too…just switch the language choice.
  • Quick Links