Houdini 16 Extended Ocean - Displacement Baking

11542   7   4
7 posts
Hi.

Is it possible to save the displacement of the extended ocean and then apply it onto the mesh in another software package (like Maya + Arnold)?

I can see that displacement is being generated from spectrum and mask inside of the material…
But I'm wondering how it could be extracted and saved as Vector Displacement (EXR).

Kind regards
Chris
Staff
809 posts
Yes, using the Bake All Displacements to One Layer option on the Export to Texture tab of OceanEvaluate. Note this is not in the gold release, so you'd need to install a daily build to get it. I go through that feature in some detail starting at 1:18:40 in the Ocean masterclass:
https://vimeo.com/204806144 [vimeo.com]
7 posts
Thank you for your reply.
Inside of flattank_fluid_extended I try to export it with 16.0.554 and I get following warning:

Warning
Cook error in input: switch_bake_single.
Warning
Error rendering child: /obj/flattank_fluid_extended/oceanevaluate1/ropnet1/layers_wedge/shell1

Shell error:

Error
Python error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File “”, line 1, in

File “opdefDriver/wedge?PythonModule”, line 212, in applywedge

File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.554/houdini/python2.7libs\houpythonportion.py”, line 1287, in decorator

return func(*args, **kwargs)

File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.554/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 40802, in render

return _hou.RopNode_render(*args, **kwargs)

OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.

Error: Cook error in input: switch_bake_single.

Unticked Deform Input Geometry
and ticked UV Attribute

I'll attach HIP file if needed.

Thanks
30 posts
johner
Yes, using the Bake All Displacements to One Layer option on the Export to Texture tab of OceanEvaluate

Hi @johner,

It seems that when baking maps the ocean evaluate writes out the maps directly from the volumes? So are you not able to bake the displacement to geo with custom UVs (not just from a planar project)?

Do you have any examples of using the ocean tools with already deformed geometry? I'm creating a huge wave and want to apply ocean displacement on top, however my problem is:
- if I create my ocean, then bake out my vector displacement, then bend it into a huge wave, the vector displacement is now in the wrong space so the geo displaced at render time won't match my geo in SOPs (which is obviously an issue when doing spray/mist etc)
- I could bend deform my geo first then add the ocean displacement (using wave instancing to orient them correctly on the huge wave), however ocean evaluate doesn't seem to work correctly when using already deformed geo, I think it expects a flat grid.. Especially if there is an overhang in the geo I get some really strange results (i'm guessing because of the wave it samples the 2D volumes..)

Is there a way I can convert the world space vector displacement from the ocean evaluate into a tangent space displacement? That way (I think) if I deform the geo afterwards it will still be in the correct space..?
1 posts
johner
Yes, using the Bake All Displacements to One Layer option on the Export to Texture tab of OceanEvaluate. Note this is not in the gold release, so you'd need to install a daily build to get it. I go through that feature in some detail starting at 1:18:40 in the Ocean masterclass:
https://vimeo.com/204806144 [vimeo.com]
I was trying to bake the large ocean displacement map through Img network using ROP File Output node. When I baked each of the displacement map for single oceanspectrum, the map was seamless. But when I enabled “Bake All Displacements to One Layer”, the final displacement map was not seamless. How can I get the seamless displacement map for multiple merged oceanspectrum?
Edited by ZTZML - Nov. 12, 2019 13:40:40
43 posts
ZTZML
I was trying to bake the large ocean displacement map through Img network using ROP File Output node. When I baked each of the displacement map for single oceanspectrum, the map was seamless. But when I enabled "Bake All Displacements to One Layer", the final displacement map was not seamless. How can I get the seamless displacement map for multiple merged oceanspectrum?

Ever find a way? Cheers
Edited by HM_2020 - Jan. 4, 2022 19:01:25
2 posts
yes you can generate the ocean noise as a 4k texture an export that toa tiff or tga and use it in any other software but you lose the animations though
31 posts
You should bake RGB Displacement with Cusp Alpha in EXR format or Pic

aly.kafoury
yes you can generate the ocean noise as a 4k texture an export that toa tiff or tga and use it in any other software but you lose the animations though

You should do file sequence for your displacement so it has animation.

Here is sample
  • Quick Links