HDA file references

3680   5   0
31 posts
When building HDA assets, I build them to be usable from different projects, and naturally, store my HDAs outside of Unity's project folders. Loading and HDA from outside a project works fine, but sometimes, it seems like Houdini loses the reference to the correct HDA, and uses some obsolete cached version instead when cooking. In UE4, this problem never seems to occur. Also, the same HDAs are used both in Unity and UE4, so storing the HDAs in Unity project folders would be very awkward.
571 posts
I haven't been able to reproduce this. Sounds like could be an edge case caused by various factors. Note that references to assets outside the Unity project are stored as absolute paths. Therefore if that path changes, then it won't be loaded. For assets inside the Assets/ folder, the plugin stores as direct references via the Unity meta data system.

To help you track down the potential cause, next time this happens check the “Asset Path” field on the HDA_Data gameobject's UI (see attachment). This is the path Unity uses to load the HDA, so if this path has changed in any way, then it won't be loaded.

Similarly, if you run across this issue, you can edit that path in the UI, and Rebuild. It should find it again.
Edited by seelan - Sept. 10, 2018 10:40:53

Attachments:
hda_path.png (63.6 KB)

13 posts
Hi. I am having the same problem here. Edited the path in unity and the result is the same. No asset loaded. This is my setup.
Any clue on how i can fix this ?
Edited by UtherDoul - Sept. 13, 2018 06:16:59

Attachments:
UnitySC.PNG (220.3 KB)
HoudiniSC.PNG (849.9 KB)
FolderPath.PNG (38.0 KB)

571 posts
Looks like you moved your Tut_bridge.hdalc from under HoudiniProjects/HoudiniTests/ to its parent directory HoudiniProjects?

And the actual problem is that you need to change Asset Path, not Asset Cache Folder Path. You changed the wrong field.

I'll make this easier in the future via a file select UI, instead of manually entering the field.
13 posts
Hi. I redid the project for a clean start. Still the same result. Now the path seems fine…
Edited by UtherDoul - Sept. 13, 2018 06:58:01

Attachments:
UnitySC.PNG (206.1 KB)

571 posts
So that is just Unity's warning that the file is outside the project and therefore not recommended to be loaded via the AssetDatabase. Its harmless and wouldn't cause any issues to the rest of the Houdini Engine functionality. If you want to get rid of the warning, then simply move the HDA file to inside your Unity project's Asset folder and reinstantiate by dragging & dropping the HDA file into the scene or load from menu.

As an aside, I should probably check if the file is outside the project and not bother trying to load through the AssetDatabase as its unnecessary.

Back to your issue, looks like your asset loaded fine, and generated an output which is the polyextrude1_0 gameobject. Are you expecting something else?
  • Quick Links