C++ Effects Programming

1519   1   3
38 posts
Hi,

I have been doing FX using Houdini for almost 1.5 year now, and I have over than 10 years of experience in C++ programming/algorithms. I am wondering what could be improved in Houdini Effects using C++? Is there any kind of effects that require more logic than just using simple VEX or Python scripts?

I know there are many translators between Houdini/Arnold/etc. integrations that could be written, but I am more interested in Effects programming, i.e. a program that would create hard to create effects using Houdini current built-in tools.

Any ideas are really appreciated
2038 posts
Although since they introduced the booleans tools, it is more than enough for my needs.

I come from a Solid Works background and find the approach of using ‘nurbs’ for creating models that need to ‘fit’ and relate to each other much better, along with a more quick and simpler workflow.

However, with Indie at only $300 and SW at close to $6k, and even Rhino I think about $1k, the bit of extra work in Houdini is still much more worth it.

There's a growing crowd of people who like to 3d print models and I think if a set of model tools based on nurbs were introduced, many people would find it very attractive to use Houdini.

PaQWaK, last April made a good post with some examples related to what I've said here that might give you some ideas.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/55277/?page=1#post-249740 [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links