Transform node

1329   3   1
340 posts
Is there a way to create a transform type node with local action center? I can create a transform node and adjust scale and pick several polygons/faces, but they will transform globally rather than around their centers. I can fake this by creating first a polyextrude node for inner extrude and then a second polyextrude node for extrude - but this generates extra geometry. What I am trying to replicate procedurally is Modo's local action center. I can create an edit node, but this would defeat the procedural nature of what I am trying to do. Modo's local action center: "https://vimeo.com/290040078 [vimeo.com]"
Edited by Island - Sept. 15, 2018 11:28:16
340 posts
Apparently this is also possible in Blender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Vr3WiSJS0 [www.youtube.com]
It would be nice to have a checkbox on the transform node to scale by selections.

On a side note: transform, extrude, and edge loop cuts are probably the most used modeling tools in most 3D programs. (Maybe “bevel” as an extrude alternative in some programs). Why isn't there an edge loop cut node? Making an edge loop cut in Houdini's viewport generates a polysplit node, which is pretty uninterpretable (split locations give a percentage, but the edge designation is pretty obtuse). It would be good to have this as its own node and have an option to create more than one edge loop at different positions (like first edge loop at 5%, second at 95%), rather than just spread several loops equally. One can presently add many edge loops at one time in Houdini (which is nice) and restrict to a quantized fraction of scale (also nice), but if one wants to add edge loops at 10% and 90% positions and quantizes to 10, the first one will be at 10% and the second at 90*0.9 - which is not symmetrical (or one has to remember to spin the middle mouse button to quantize to 9 for the second loop cut).
Edited by Island - Sept. 16, 2018 18:36:01
7737 posts
I think you may be able to achieve what you need with a primitive SOP.

It transforms in the local space of each face.
340 posts
Awesome! Thanks.
  • Quick Links