Speeding up the COPs workflow?

1757   4   2
408 posts
I'd like to find ways to optimize the workflow with COPs. I'm using COPs with trace SOP. I'm bringing an animated image sequence into the COP layered with an animated noise…. and frankly, it's impossible to move forward as it's incredibly slow. Where can i cut corners to help houdini speed up the process on those tasks please?

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 17, 2018 15:09:45
Staff
5156 posts
Try using the Performance Monitor to figure out where the bottleneck is in your scene. If the images are large, the noise COP can be the bottleneck - generating 4K samples worth of mutli-octave noise can significantly cut into your update time. It might be worth it to generate a small image of noise and scale it up, especially if it's supposed to be smooth noise.
408 posts
twod
Try using the Performance Monitor to figure out where the bottleneck is in your scene. If the images are large, the noise COP can be the bottleneck - generating 4K samples worth of mutli-octave noise can significantly cut into your update time. It might be worth it to generate a small image of noise and scale it up, especially if it's supposed to be smooth noise.

Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try right away. I haven't had much luck rescaling (Xform) Noise and imported sequence. But maybe i tried to do so in the wrong place.

Cheers,

A.
408 posts
twod

Indeed, quite identitical results and way way faster with lowere rez noise and image sequence!

Thanks again.

A.
648 posts
Also try doing everything with vops instead. More work but usually much faster results.
  • Quick Links