Issues getting holes in fonts...

3750   8   2
517 posts
Hi there,
I get this a bit with importing EPS files, it just seems I have to scale them an arbitrary amount to get the holes to work…

Any ideas what's going on there? is there another way to get it working?
Thanks,
Pete
2534 posts
What if you move it to a scale where the hole works then export that as a .bgeo.sc, then bring that back in and continue processing?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
670 posts
Scale after the hole SOP (so it doesnt need to be recalculated each time).
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
2038 posts
Wonder if what your getting is only viewport issue. Just curious, holes go away in render too?
7759 posts
The hole sop always had problems with precision. The same missing holes occur with shapes created by font sop as well. The capital ‘B’ in various fonts has a missing lower hole depending on size.
8539 posts
You can use Boolean SOP instead
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
517 posts
Hey thanks!
I think I've managed to lock it down a bit with a resample node set to ‘Resample by polygon edge’.

It seems way more stable with that.
P.
378 posts
Actually it seems a lot easier to get your eps files imported correctly and without the overhead of nodes to fix it if you use a completely different software in the first place.
Edited by OneBigTree - Sept. 24, 2018 09:30:35
340 posts
Cinema 4D does this much better, but my experience with C4D, Modo, and Houdini is that you will get much better topology using an illustrator or text file as a reference and making it from scratch. The poly pen tools of other software are better than the retopo tool in Houdini now, but next month that may no longer be true.
Edited by Island - Sept. 24, 2018 10:23:15
  • Quick Links