HQUEUE...nightmare

1951   2   1
138 posts
Hey

It took two days to set up HQUEUE to work on 2 computers with 50% percent success rate (usually half of the time Access denied error message is happening), and when it starts to work (i.e. prepares the render), the real rendering fails, with various errors. Like GeometryIO: Unable to open file (and the folder pointing to the mounted shared folder, H:\). Ok I admit, I have space in the folder name, but it's given I am not allowed to change it. Or, it says, that a group is not valid. However, when I render locally, it works just fine.

Should I copy my own HDAs to the distro folder?
378 posts
I had the same issue.

Did you run by any chance the hqclientd.bat in the Client folder? then you have the client running twice! Once as service and once started directly.

Don't use the HQClient service! Stop it in services and disable it. Then run the hqclientd.bat in the Client folder to start the client. This will solve most of the problems. The service seems to have a lot of access issues even if configured correctly.

Sadly the Tutorial posted by SideFX doesn't adress this at all. So basically don't follow the SideFX tutorial.

And if you by any chance find out how to make HQueue render one scene after the other and not everything that has the same priority at the same time but sequential by job ID, then let me know.
Edited by OneBigTree - Sept. 30, 2018 12:56:13
378 posts
How's it going @szmatefy?

I found how to tell HQueue how to render Job in the order they were submitted. Another default that shoudn't be the default.

In the hqserver.ini there is this entry:

# Algorithm to use when assigning clients to jobs.
# Available options:
# sharecpu - Assign clients so that the number of CPUs is distributed evenly
# across the jobs.
# fifo - Assign clients to the job that was submitted first. When the job is
# finished then assign clients to the job that was submitted next.
hqserver.schedulingAlgorithm = sharecpu

The default is sharecpu which distributes the jobs evenly between all cpu/clients. Set it to fifo (first in first out) and you get the “normal” renderfarm behavior one job (scene) after the other. Now you can start 20 jobs render in the evening and be relatively sure, that they are rendered in the submitted order without using priorities or dependencies.
  • Quick Links