Hair: Guide Groom breaking Guide Deform

3008   3   0
1 posts
Hello All, I am working on making hair for a character ( a high fade with loose curls on top ). I am running into a problem where anytime I use a guide groom node to do anything like adjust length, cut hair, or brush, the guide deform stops working and the hair no longer follows the alembic. Adding clump and curl has no problem but the grooming tools stop it all together. I have never run into this problem before and cant seem to figure it out.

Attachments:
hair_groomProblem.zip (13.2 MB)

8 posts
This is old but in case anyone else runs into this problem, this problem is likely because the topology for your Groom Data is changing frame to frame.

It's important that when using Guide Deform, you have a static/rest version of your animated geometry which you're generating guides on. You then pipe the Groom Data based on the static geometry into the Groom Data input of the Guide Deform node and pipe your animated geometry into the Animated Skin Geometry input.
4 posts
Hey, this is even older, but I'm facing the exact same issue as op, but I do have a static version of my geometry where I generated the guides, the deform nodes is fed the guides in his Groom data input, and the animated geo in the Animated skin input but the problem very much occurs with either Cut or Adjust length nodes within the hairgen.

I've simplified my network so you can see the basics of the setup ;

Geo's are hidden (WIP, can't show/share it as of now) but you can see the guides, deform and hairgen.

I've been looking around for a solution but no luck so far.
Edited by risola - Jan. 12, 2021 17:03:50
2 posts
Ok so for anyone whos still wandering, thought I might write it here because I got this to work. On your Hair Generate node, go to Static Generation tab. Click on Perform Hair Generation Editing at Rest.
This will make it so that when you are inside the Hairgen at SOP level you can edit it like it is on its orignal static position. Your edits will work on the animation at the superior level and your animation will work fine!
  • Quick Links