"Snap a move" like in Maya

3232   5   2
129 posts
Hello, is it possible to move an object snapping to points/curves/grid but clicking directly on a specific point, without using the manipulator ? It's something I do all the time in Maya (on Maya documentation it's called “snap a move”) and saves a lot of time, maybe in Houdini it's possible but I don't know how.
I attached a clip to better show what I mean.

Thank you

Ray

Attachments:
2018-09-21 12-09-15.mp4 (6.8 MB)

216 posts
No, but I also really miss this mode (as an upgrade of “secure selection” mode ?) and not only with snap (drag and move in viewport with any active axes) without losing time to fine select handle many hundred of time during by daywork.

However you can just middle click and drag with the snap active hover your target without selecting handle.
I Hope that help.
333 posts
Not sure but isnt this possible already with Start Orientation Picking.

you can hold down the key: ;
to temporary go into that mode. Then you can just click where you want to move the handle to.
Make sure you use a US Keyboard layout. otherwise the shortcut might not work.

With a wacom tablet there is a bug where a click does not register when there is movement between the mouse press and release event the click will not register.

Attachments:
_snap.gif (261.5 KB)

129 posts
@Doudini yes! I discovered this function today, it's completely hidden and undocumented. It works, a bit rudimental but it works.
Working in the viewport in Houdini is laborious …
Edited by madrenderman - Sept. 22, 2018 03:31:54
378 posts
madrenderman
@Doudini yes! I discovered this function today, it's completely hidden and undocumented. It works, a bit rudimental but it works.
Working in the viewport in Houdini is laborious …
…and having to switch keyboard layouts makes it even more so. Especially if you switch between applications a lot, because there are many things you just can't do in Houdini….

The overall user experience should have maximum priority right now because that would be something all users would benefit from. I'm pretty sure even the hardcore VFX people would be surprised how much faster things can be done with a well thought through interaction concept….
4 posts
Like you I am accustomed to modeling in Maya. However, I am planning to move to Houdini as fast as I am able. Your question and post led me to look for answers as well and I found this tip reference video. Even though I have not viewed all the tips, I think this is very illuminating. https://youtu.be/8oKBoVYn6R4?t=565 [youtu.be]

Thanks!
  • Quick Links