Reference Vellum Source in DOPImport?

3141   4   0
86 posts
I've got a scene with multiple pieces of geo that have been simulatedas vellum cloth. The simulation has been moved into a DOPNetwork so I can take advantage of POP forces.

I need to get the simulated cloth back into SOPs so I can properly render materials on it and as well as on static/collision objects in the scene.

I figured the obvious way to do this was the same way you would do it with RBD or other objects and use a DOPImport node to bring the simulated geo out of DOPs and into SOPs.

The best I can get is to use an object mask of vellum*–that brings all the sources out of DOPs in a single DOPImport node. What I need, though, is to create multiple DOPImport nodes for each Vellum Source node, using explicit naming for the Object Mask (vellumsource1, vellumsource2, etc).

Is that possible?

mC
8519 posts
all Vellum Source nodes attached to Vellum Object source to the same Geometry (and ConstraintGeometry) data that belongs to that object

so just use DOP Import or DOP Import Fields to bring in the Geometry of desired vellum object
and then append Blast SOP in Delete Non Selected mode and from Group dropdown pick vellum source stream group that you are interested in to isolate it
Edited by tamte - Oct. 18, 2018 00:14:55
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
86 posts
Woo! Worked perfectly! Thanks, Tomas.

While I really like the workflow of the new vellum solver and hope to see it in other areas, the Vellum Object / Vellum Source relationship leaves me confused.

Why do we need both? It seems in almost every use I strip the Vellum Object of any specific sim references and rely on the Vellum Source nodes for that. The Vellum Object feels like a container afterthought.

mC
Edited by MoltenCrazy - Oct. 18, 2018 19:37:40
8519 posts
It's the same for flip and smoke for example, since you may be ok with some initial data and omit source altogether, so I guess historical reasons
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
534 posts
MoltenCrazy
Woo! Worked perfectly! Thanks, Tomas.

While I really like the workflow of the new vellum solver and hope to see it in other areas, the Vellum Object / Vellum Source relationship leaves me confused.

Why do we need both? It seems in almost every use I strip the Vellum Object of any specific sim references and rely on the Vellum Source nodes for that. The Vellum Object feels like a container afterthought.

mC

i think another reason for the “Vellum Object” are intial states or continuing a simulations from such.
basically (when you dive in you will see) it is “just” an empty container where DOP Data is attached to.
The sourcing can (and often does) absolutely be done with Vellum Source DOP.
hope this helps
Fuat Yüksel
FX Supervisor | RISE Visual Effects Studios
  • Quick Links