H17: Pyro Source: velocity volume???

8982   3   1
1 posts
Hey guys.

Total newbi here.

Iv rely gotten use to the old fluid source node in H16.5 and iv recently started in H17 and the setup for pyro has changed. im kinda confused as to how the replicated the velocity volume with the new nodes now!

any tips?

Attachments:
H16.5.png (418.6 KB)

1 posts
Same problem here! I don't understand why as software developers change certain things, there are no clear tutorials of what is changed and how to do it in the new version!!!
1 posts
I am by no means very good at houdini, but after trial and error i think i have a solution. In H17 you modify the attributes on points rather than modify the volume itself as i have understood and then create a volume from particles. With inspiration from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWazj5WI8lg [www.youtube.com] i created a velocity volume with the new volume workflow in H17. This is how i did it:

1 - Create Pyro Source. Add a volume as velocity.

2 - Create Attribute VOP and make whatever noise you want, and output it to the points velocity.

3 - Create Volume Rasterize Attributes. This node creates a volume based on points and point attributes from the pyro source, in our case attribute v. Set the attributes to v. Leave the coverage attribute field empty (dont ask why, but it doesnt work if u fill it with v). This is not creating a visible smoke in scene view. Only the volumetrail node will.

note (reflection): It is possible to use a Volume VOP after the Volume Rasterize Attributes node, but it doesnt seem to be working as well as modifying the point attributes before the node.

I have attached a hip file. I am not sure you can open it as it is a apprentice version i am running.

Image Not Found

Attachments:
velocity_volume.png (882.2 KB)
velocity_volume.hipnc (249.1 KB)

2 posts
Hi Guys,

i found something.
when you create a pyro, it will create you automaticaly a pyro Source, at the bottom of your popnet for exemple.
If you want to keep the velocity of your popnet you have to go on your attribute Noise (at the bottom of your pyro source)
and choose this :

- Signature : 3D
- adding “v” in the attributes

after this go in pyro_sim

create a new volume source
- field rank : Vector
- source volume : v
- target field : vel

keep the operation in add, and scale at 10 to see the motion !!
Edited by FujiFlo - Dec. 19, 2019 11:02:36
  • Quick Links