Animate vellum rest length scale

14873   8   5
948 posts
The manual says that I could animate this parameter but it is not working for me the constraint length doesn't chage over time, am I missing something?
Thanks.
Edited by mzigaib - Oct. 18, 2018 15:55:54
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
Staff
6187 posts
You can't animate the input to the vellumsolver, as this is only read for the first frame.

Instead, for the SOP-based Vellum Solver dive inside it and add a Vellum Constraints Property. This lets you modify Rest Length scale there. You may want to create constraint groups to ensure it modifies the ones you want.

For DOP-based vellum solver, it is a similar idea, wire in a vellum constraints property like you would any microsolver.
9 posts
Hello jlait & mzigaib, I'm trying to do something similar with the stiffness parameter but I'm not having much luck. Attached is a project file, would you take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Edited by peter john - Nov. 22, 2018 21:49:59

Attachments:
vellum_cloth_test_2.hipnc (483.6 KB)

385 posts
Hey Peter,

Use the Vellum Constraints node to set up your constraint, but use Vellum Constraints Property to animate your values.

Attachments:
vellum_cloth_test_2_fixed.hipnc (498.5 KB)

9 posts
Thanks Tanto,

This is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize it was a separate node, I should have looked a little closer
3 posts
Hi,
How to animate vellum rest length scale in case if we have more cloths related to same vellum solver because we want this cloths to interact with each other? So how to animate in this case independently for each vellum cloth separate vellum constraints property?
We can animate with separate vellum solvers but then we losing the interaction (or not?).
Thanks
385 posts
@ervin3d: It works in a single solver, but you have to create a different constraint group for each constraint you want to animate separately, then specify these groups in the constraint property nodes.
21 posts
WagnerFX
Hi Guys,
is it possible to drive the restscale with a noise in PopVop?
Different restscale on every point.

It's a bit late now, but I this is fairly similar to what you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55dYtAsSh-w [www.youtube.com]
1 posts
Hello ! I am very new to Houdini and I am looking to assign different Rest length values on a cloth, similar to this example https://vimeo.com/369271677. [vimeo.com] However, so far my cloth gets distorted and triangulated. Could you please point me to the right direction ? ( i can also add my failed attempt if that helps) . Your help is much appreciated!
  • Quick Links