Vellum Rest Blend not working

4768   3   2
174 posts
Hello,
I'm trying a simple “maintain initial shape” for velum hairs, It's not working on my side with the purposed node.
The ultimate purpose is keeping some parts of hairs maintaining their shape with a painted attribute while animated.

Attachments:
vellumrestblend_test.hipnc (454.1 KB)

8522 posts
if your rest geometry is animated you have to use Vellum Rest Blend in DOPs so that it updates over time
however in your example I don't see it animate and you are using the same shape as rest that you used to generate constraints to begin with so there will be no change in rest attributes whatsoever anyway

EDIT: if the whole purpose is to maintain the shape then increase Bend Stiffness as stiffness defines how strong the constraint tries to return to rest, so no matter whether you want your rest to animate or not, if your stiffness is weak you will not see much effect of reaching the rest state if other forces acting on your hair are strong
Edited by tamte - Oct. 22, 2018 12:24:58
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
3 posts
Hello Houdini community,

Has anyone succeeded to mix dynamically together the “Vellum Rest Blend” with the “Vellum Constraint Properties - Rest Length Scale”?
Its working for me only one or the other, it depends of dopnet1 / merge1 order (which Input Operator is on the top), the mixing is not working, although there is a sticky note which says:
“Wire Vellum Constraint Properties and Vellum Rest Blend to update constraints dynamically”

Any suggestion or idea is more than welcome. :-)
Edited by ervin3d - June 15, 2019 03:29:40

Attachments:
Vellum_ConstraintProperty_RestLengthScale.png (1.2 MB)
Vellum_RestBlend.png (1.1 MB)
VellumRestBlend_or(and)_VellumConstraintProperty_RestLengthScale_TEST.hipnc (433.3 KB)

33 posts
For anyone who stil needs a solution for this, lower your Blend value below 1.0 on the Vellum Rest Blend DOP, otherwise there won't be any effect of the Vellum Constraint Property DOP…
https://behance.net/derya [behance.net]
  • Quick Links