Disable Vellum collisions for specific primitives

6318   5   1
31 posts
Hi all,

I've got a hair setup using Vellum, and I would like to disable collisions on specific objects for specific hairs. Is there any way to specify, per point or primitive, what objects the hair can collide with?

Thanks
Staff
6169 posts
If you are colliding with static objects using a DOP setup, you can switch the objects to Use Volume Collisions. Then the collisionignore attribute will work. But this means you lose the edge/edge collisions that can be very useful for hairs.

For controlling pairwise collision within dynamic components of a vellum solve, there is no attribute now.
31 posts
Thanks for confirming there isn't a way to do that. Glad to know I wasn't missing something simple. Do you know if there is a plan to add attributes for that control?

Are there other methods for pairwise collisions for hair within Vellum at the moment?
Staff
6169 posts
The main thought with hair is to use the Glue nodes to set up soft constraints to lock hair together. This has a lot of options for clustering which can be used to control pairwise generation of the glue.

Such attributes are planned; but many things are planned, so I rather focus on what is actually done. :>
31 posts
I'm using the glue as you mentioned to create clumps in the hair. But I'm more after selective collisions with external objects. Say that I want all of the hair to collide with the head, but only half the hair to collide with a different external object. I was hoping for a way to do selective collisions like that.

Or were you saying that Glue could somehow be setup to help with that scenario?
Staff
6169 posts
No, that currently can only be done by making that external object a volume collider and using collisionignore.
  • Quick Links