delay changing between viewport views in iMac pro in H17

1308   5   1
12 posts
I have an iMac pro at work, the newest one, with a radeon 8 gb.
And I have some delay changing between viewport views, after the change everything works fine but while is changing it kind of freezes for a while.
Anyone else with the same problem on an imac Pro?

Trying to figure out if it is an issue of the hardware (lack of horsepower of the radeon) or an actual bug.
Edited by nicolashe - Oct. 24, 2018 13:17:00
Nicolas Heluani
https://vimeo.com/nicolashe [vimeo.com]
833 posts
You're talking about changing between Desktops? I just tested it on my aging 2012 Mac Book Pro which definitely isn't even remotely as fast as your machine and I didn't have any issues. All the Desktop Sets switch within 1 second.

The Viewport views (Perspective, Top, Bottom, etc) also switch really fast, but I suppose it depends on the complexity of your scene.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
12 posts
Midphase
You're talking about changing between Desktops? I just tested it on my aging 2012 Mac Book Pro which definitely isn't even remotely as fast as your machine and I didn't have any issues. All the Desktop Sets switch within 1 second.

The Viewport views (Perspective, Top, Bottom, etc) also switch really fast, but I suppose it depends on the complexity of your scene.
No, I am talking about changing views in the Scene view ( from top to right, etc), and the small delay, 1-2 second, happens even when there is nothing on the scene.
Your 2012 Mac Book Pro may have an nVidia card. I am wondering if it is a limitation in the radeon GPU horsepower.
Anyway I have submitted it as a bug as I think I am ill equipped to do the hardware compatibility test it will require to figure it out. I also have a far more annoying issue with unreliable TAB key to call the TAB menu (also submitted it as a bug).
I am a bit surprised that other people have not experienced this issue, considering that iMac-pros are line products.
Nicolas Heluani
https://vimeo.com/nicolashe [vimeo.com]
4189 posts
nicolashe
I am a bit surprised that other people have not experienced this issue, considering that iMac-pros are line products.

MacsOS is still the most buggy of the 3 platforms i.e. bug #57988 is still unfixed in H17, where the tool help pop-up will make the node info window disappear…
135 posts
Same issue on MBP2017. 1-3 secs of delay switching from perspective, right, front etc. Also middle clicking nodes to get info has become delayed compared to 16.5. Then there are many graphic glitches with input fields … Nothing of this is showstoppers, but still annoying.

In addition, there are a lot that could be made quite a lot nicer like:
- better scaling for retina screens (== all mac screens) (it is very small now, noodles/lines get very thin, text hard to read),
- not letting modal dialogs pullute global window manager
- more support for basic text navigation in editors (cmd+arrow opt+arrow etc, or emacs binding like ctrl-a, ctrl-e)

Should this be reported? Known but not priority?
Staff
5156 posts
It sounds like the creation of OpenGL windows or contexts is doing something odd on that particular platform. We can't reproduce it on our Macs, so it's probably something very specific to that GPU/driver combo. I'll let Apple know.
  • Quick Links