Out of memory

3942   6   3
74 posts
Hi all!
I am having issues reguarding huge scenes!
I have huge network trees with lots of geometries and particles, and when i try to cache all of these, i get an error, saying out of memory and programs fails, so i can't really cache anything, course of that.
I've heard there are some ways around that, but i am kinda newbie.
Would love to hear from ya!
Thanks for your help!
175 posts
How do you try to cache it?
If you use a cache sop which caches to memory there will be a problem, try rendering particle simulation to disk as geometry with “rop output driver” SOP, Its a common bullet proof way. Also if you are on windows you are likely to have all sorts of memory problem. There are guys working with big scenes on windows here though .
581 posts
peliosis
How do you try to cache it?
If you use a cache sop which caches to memory there will be a problem, try rendering particle simulation to disk as geometry with “rop output driver” SOP, Its a common bullet proof way. Also if you are on windows you are likely to have all sorts of memory problem. There are guys working with big scenes on windows here though .
Are you using paging in Windows, your scene uses more memory than your installed RAM?
If you are using paging in Windows vry often maybe is a system inestability, i remember several scenes in Maya I have worked on that are imposssible to use in Windows (it was the 2000 version), so it was the first reason we moved from Windows to Linux.
But I don't know if this is same siytuation as yours.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
74 posts
Yeah i will try to ROP it and see if that helps.
I would love to be on linux, but i can't course of many programs that i use on Windows Xp, unfortunatly.
I've heard it rocks on Linux.
Thanks i will check that!
2199 posts
You can setup dual boot with Linux.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
74 posts
I used Linux for couple years, i know it rocks with 3D apps, but just don't feel comfortable working in it.
581 posts
xcomb
I used Linux for couple years, i know it rocks with 3D apps, but just don't feel comfortable working in it.
New distributions like Ubuntu are very user friendly, maybe now it will be more satisfactory for you.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links