utf8 error when lauching houdini and can't render

3096   3   1
2 posts
Hello !

I need help, I started using Houdini last week for school, but it's impossible for me te render a single frame (even if there is a light, a camera, a shader, and just a cube). I have a black screen on the render tab and when i click on it i obtain the error you can see on the first picture.
The only hypothesis I have is that since the lauching of Houdini I have an error (second picture) about utf8.
Do you know the solution to this problem of rendering ?
I already uninstalled-reinstalled houdini and it didn't worked.

Thank you !

Attachments:
error render houdini.PNG (19.2 KB)
utf8 error Houdini.PNG (8.3 KB)

1743 posts
Houdini doesn't currently support any file paths with non-ASCII characters in them on Windows, so it might be related to that if you have a Windows user directory path that contains a non-ASCII character, e.g. C:/Users/cécilemight or might not lead to problems with the é.

(That said, it seems a little unexpected to me that it's looking for the asset_store directory, unless you're using assets from Orbolt, but maybe that's normal.)
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
2 posts
Thank you ndickson !
I already had this problem with other softwares, but I have always found a way to make it work.
Here the only solution for me was creating an other session on my pc, to have a new user folder without “é”.
I didn't manage to rename my current folder but that's ok.

Now I can render so that's marvelous !
1743 posts
It's good that you got it working. Hopefully one day unicode paths will work more smoothly in Houdini on Windows. Linux adopted UTF8 natively, so unicode paths apparently work a lot more reliably in Houdini on Linux, without requiring a huge overhaul of how paths are managed in the software.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links