Exporting .fbx as object sequence (frame by frame).

10841   12   5
17 posts
Hello,

I have an object sequence in sop (every frame generates a new geometry), and I need to export it as frame sequence, something like tree_$F.fbx. But so far the .fbx rop seems to write only the first frame, and some kind of animation data (in a folder called **.fpc).

In other word, I need the frame by frame option from the .abc rop, but for a .fbx format.
Is it any magic workaround to solve this ?
31 posts
I also need this and so far i put together an FBX export rop but it only appears to export the first frame,
regardless if i select one frame for export or a frame range. with out.$F.fbx as output…
Looks like a bug ?
17 posts
Hello,
A workaround is to create s shelf tool with this :

import hou

node = hou.node(“/path_to_fbx_export_operator”)

for i in range(0,51):
hou.setFrame(i)
node.render()
2 posts
PascalBkm
Hello,
A workaround is to create s shelf tool with this :

import hou

node = hou.node(“/path_to_fbx_export_operator”)

for i in range(0,51):
hou.setFrame(i)
node.render()

Hi I saw this post I was trying to do the same thing export fbx sequence frame by frame. But I have no knowledge of using python in Houdini. What is the “path to fbx export operator”? Do you have a video or images of how to set this up so I can use it.
6 posts
I'm having the same problem. Only the first frame of an animation sequence can be exported as an filmbox FBX.

How does one use the shelf tool?
555 posts
btangonan
I'm having the same problem. Only the first frame of an animation sequence can be exported as an filmbox FBX.

open up your SideFX labs shelf say, rclick on an empty area>New Tool>Script tab

paste in code above:

import hou

node = hou.node(/path_to_fbx_export_operator)

for i in range(0,51):
    hou.setFrame(i)
    node.render() 

I've done it here for you WITH indentation, otherwise Python will complain of incorrect indentation

the path should point to your rop_fbx1 (because that has the render on it, otherwise…another error)

something like this: node = hou.node(“/obj/geo1/rop_fbx1”)

maybe change 1st frame to 1 also.

Note: I tested reading it back in….using File node is still incorrect, use Menu: File>Import instead

This sounds stupid, but again make sure in the rop_fbx1 it is outputting range instead of current frame.
Edited by vusta - June 5, 2020 01:28:13
4 posts
vusta
btangonan

open up your SideFX labs shelf say, rclick on an empty area>New Tool>Script tab

paste in code above:

import hou

for i in range(0,51):
    hou.setFrame(i)
    node.render() 

I've done it here for you WITH indentation, otherwise Python will complain of incorrect indentation

the path should point to your rop_fbx1 (because that has the render on it, otherwise...another error)

something like this: node = hou.node("/obj/geo1/rop_fbx1")

maybe change 1st frame to 1 also.

Note: I tested reading it back in....using File node is still incorrect, use Menu: File>Import instead

This sounds stupid, but again make sure in the rop_fbx1 it is outputting range instead of current frame.

I tried this solution and it exports a single fbx with the animation data inside but not as a series of fbx's ala the example of tree_$F.fbx mentioned in the first post. I have it set to output range and not current frame and Im not totally sure what or if Im doing something wrong
3 posts
The script doesn't work for me. Error. Sidefx should add a toggle for ->animating

*EDIT - here is the error
SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('RenderFBX_Sequence', 3, 17, 'node = hou.node(\xe2\x80\x9c/obj/Object_Individual_Chunks/rop_fbx1\xe2\x80\x9d)\n'))
Edited by Jon Meier2 - Oct. 14, 2021 13:03:35
3 posts
Ok. I had to remove the following:
"import hou"

And it worked...but I also had to set the output to "current frame only", and not "frange" as previously instructed.
128 posts
I cannot for the life of me get this to work. hah! Can anyone bring any new solution to export an FBX sequence as separate files frame by frame?

SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('tool_1', 3, 17, 'node = hou.node(\xe2\x80\x9c/obj/file1/rop_fbx1\xe2\x80\x9d)\n'))
Edited by VGriffith - Nov. 3, 2021 12:37:08
8518 posts
VGriffith
Can anyone bring any new solution to export an FBX sequence as separate files frame by frame?
you can use tops nowadays to enforce individual execution of ROP FBX Output per frame
Edited by tamte - Nov. 3, 2021 13:07:15

Attachments:
ts_tops_export_per_frame_fbx.hip (273.3 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
Hello,

Mine is not working and I am not sure why ...
If I click on save to disk on the Rop_fbx node I get just one frame exported as fbx
Edited by TheReyplay - Jan. 21, 2022 14:31:20

Attachments:
prob.PNG (118.9 KB)
prob1.PNG (65.8 KB)
prob2.PNG (86.1 KB)
prob3.PNG (113.8 KB)

3 posts
keeganmillbern
vusta
btangonan

import hou

for i in range(0,51):
    hou.setFrame(i)
    node.render() 

Following up on this since I just got it to work.

2 things I had to do:
  1. Use single (ie. '/obj/geo1/rop_fbx1') quotes around the path name. Copy and paste inputs special start/end quote characters which cause a syntax error.
  2. Set the rop_fbx 'Valid Frame Range' to 'Render Current Frame'. I don't understand why, but it works.

Also, make sure you setrange(0,51)to your correct frame range if you're missing models.

Bonus tip since I had some trouble with this:

I can't use $F in the output name since I wanted to preserve the original filenames from the models I'm importing.

To set a custom name attribute for your files you can create a detail attribute and use this format --> $HIP/prefix_`details("../SOME_NULL", "filename")`.fbx
in the output file field.

Bold characters will need to be changed to match your setup. This didn't work using "." , so SOME_NULL is a Null node I created just before the rop_fbx, and after creating the detail attrib called "filename".
The prefix_ is not necessary, obviously, but be careful you don't overwrite the original models.
  • Quick Links