Frequency of cellular noise problem

3774   5   0
13 posts
Hello!

I'm trying to control frequency of Cellular noise with distance from the middle of the UV map.
There is some weird distortion on the noise - any ideas how this could be achieved?

As advised on other forum - I tried using P length (my circle has radius of 1, placed in 0,0,0), to control frequency but the effects are the same.

I'm guessing the frequency is calculated in conjunction with UV map itself as the distortion is pointing in the UV corner where values are 0,0. What's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any ideas
Piotr
Edited by pitapan - Nov. 16, 2018 06:39:05

Attachments:
cell_noise_freq_by_rad.hiplc (397.6 KB)

323 posts
Hi,
what are you actually trying to achieve?
If it is a distortion of the pattern you might want to look at stretching/distorting the UVs.

regards

Olaf
13 posts
I am trying to achieve a cell pattern where frequency of the cells would be lower in the center and grow higher when getting close to the edge.
900 posts
If guessed right u are trying to do something like this?

In that case, 2 considerations:

1) as you can see I used the unified noise, whose voronoi variations are good substitute for the cellular noise. (unified noise is the preferred noise to work with, as it groups most of houdini noises. Also in hou17 it got a significant speed bump)
2) use the node distance to compute the distance from the center. Don't know why the length node doesn't work (maybe it has to do with the “signature” of the vector.. this is obscure to me.
3) play with the pow node to have non-linear progression.

Hope I guessed right!
Cheers
Edited by Andr - Nov. 16, 2018 09:31:24

Attachments:
progressive noise.JPG (69.5 KB)
progressive noise.hiplc (464.6 KB)

8513 posts
pitapan
I'm trying to control frequency of Cellular noise with distance from the middle of the UV map.
There is some weird distortion on the noise - any ideas how this could be achieved?

in both of your examples
just subtract {0.5, 0.5, 0} from your uv before plugging to cellular noise
just so that center for the frequency scale is at the center of your uvs which is the center you want to scale from
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
13 posts
tamte
in both of your examples
just subtract {0.5, 0.5, 0} from your uv before plugging to cellular noise
just so that center for the frequency scale is at the center of your uvs which is the center you want to scale from
Thank you so much, it's this simple! wow.
Edited by pitapan - Nov. 16, 2018 12:02:05
  • Quick Links