I copied box to line points. Different line direction got a wrong result.

1381   2   1
5 posts
Hello guys.

I copied box to line points. and I set normal of points by tangentu in vop. Z-direction of the line gave me what I want. But X-direction of the line gave me a wrong result.

I attached hip file.

Help me plz.

Attachments:
bridge01.hipnc (168.2 KB)

731 posts
I assume it's the twisting you don't like? I think it looks cool, but if that's not the desired result, you need an up vector in addition to your N.

Add a “attribute create” after the pointVOP1, call it “up,” and make it a vector. Set it to 0,1,0. The planks will untwist.

Reason is that N aligns the copies, but the orientation is ambiguous. Without it, Houdini just guesses and they will spin and do other weird things. Creating an up vector gives it a frame of reference.
Edited by mrCatfish - Dec. 3, 2018 17:09:11
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
5 posts
mrCatfish
I assume it's the twisting you don't like? I think it looks cool, but if that's not the desired result, you need an up vector in addition to your N.

Add a “attribute create” after the pointVOP1, call it “up,” and make it a vector. Set it to 0,1,0. The planks will untwist.

Reason is that N aligns the copies, but the orientation is ambiguous. Without it, Houdini just guesses and they will spin and do other weird things. Creating an up vector gives it a frame of reference.

Thank you mrCatfish. So much helpful.
  • Quick Links