H17: mantra crashes on beachtank/ocean render

1475   0   0
5 posts
Hi all,

at the moment I'm struggling with a nasty problem with Houdini 17: I'm working at a beach waves scene, simulation work is done, at the core it is a beach tank using the same extension approach as guided ocean shelftool, plus whitewater. Single frames usually render nicely, but when rendering the whole sequence it usually hangs at a random point.
That has never happened with my H16.5 ocean scenes, and the same machine does a lot of Blender Cycles rendering as well, so I guess it is not just heat problems, and it is not running out of memory either (about 20G usage, 64G physical RAM) however I'll transfer the simulation files to another machine and give it a try there. The problem occured with the first production build of H17 and is still relevant with the current build version 17.0.416.

Before I file a bug report I just wanted to ask if someone here has incurred similar problems? Are there any known bugs concerning oceans & mantra?

I'm very short in time at the moment, was hoping I could just finish and render this scene to quickly tackle the next topic on the list … well, not so fast my friend.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.
Nitwit, Blabber, Oddment, Tweak!
  • Quick Links