Procedural hard-surface geometry with Boolean/Fracture SOPs

1988   2   0
8 posts
I came across some really interesting procedural hard-surface topology here:

https://www.instagram.com/mglhs_com/ [www.instagram.com]

You can see from some of his posts he's using what looks to be an entirely Houdini-based workflow. I've been trying to figure out a way to generate fractures of this level of detail with workable topology but without success. When I try to push the boolean SOP with outputs from fracture SOPs anywhere near the kind of detail/shapes he's getting the geometry totally breaks down. It doesn't look like he's using VDBs, based on a short process video he posted it looks like it's purely mesh-based. Is anyone here able to get a better read on the approach he's using to get those kinds of clean fractures, gaps, and mesh separation?
1391 posts
Hi,

I think one solution of this effect is :

1. Generating a random Primitive Attribute based on Voronoi Noise pattern inside of Primitive VOP (and adding some noise to Global P for distorting Voronoi Pattern)
2. Looping over this random attribute
3. extruding faces with different distance number on each iteration.

Finally you can remesh all of the parts and tweak the final shape via VDB tools.

Of course it is just the main idea and you should do more steps to achieve best result.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
8 posts
Sadjad Rabiee
Hi,

I think one solution of this effect is :

1. Generating a random Primitive Attribute based on Voronoi Noise pattern inside of Primitive VOP (and adding some noise to Global P for distorting Voronoi Pattern)
2. Looping over this random attribute
3. extruding faces with different distance number on each iteration.

Finally you can remesh all of the parts and tweak the final shape via VDB tools.

Of course it is just the main idea and you should do more steps to achieve best result.

Absolutely. I actually have most of the process working thus far, the main problem I'm having now is around the bevel. Once the mesh has either been fractured or remeshed the PolyBevel node becomes somewhat useless. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get decent beveling.
  • Quick Links