how do I export a greyscale image from heightfield output? I get colour images, and incomplete

3766   1   1
15 posts
When I use heightfield output I get colour images. Heightfield images are greyscale values (white high, black low, greys in between). But why do I get coloured images when I export a png.
How do I get the full terrain, because for now I only parts (height, sediment…) spread in colour channels, where is full the terrain in greyscale? like the whole thing?

Attachments:
houdini terrain export issue.PNG (1.3 MB)
houdini terrain png export in colour.PNG (54.2 KB)
houdini export issue exr.PNG (959.8 KB)

236 posts
Hi, you are outputting the terrain layers to different colour channels. ie. height = Red, sediment = Green, debris = blue, water = alpha

If you want to output height as a black/white image, use it in each channel. However, the result will be the same as the Red channel in your Photoshop screenshot. (so you could just copy the Red channel and paste it as a layer)

Also, I suggest you remap the range. ie. using Output Range: Auto Remap and 0 to 1 will detect the min/max terrain height and remap it from 0 to 1. If you don't, you'll get the clamped results seen in your screenshots.
  • Quick Links