OpenGL alpha issues

1035   2   0
4 posts
Hi all,

I need to use OpenGL cards for a project, and I'm noticing an issue with transparency. In the pictures below I have a transparent tif. From head on, the alpha works perfectly and I can see everything behind the texture. The more I look at it from the side, the transparency goes away until it is basically opaque. I noticed in the OpenGL docs http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/props/material.html#ogl [www.sidefx.com] that there are separate tags for alpha and alpha parallel. I can't find any way to apply the image alpha to the parallel alpha though. It works fine if I turn off use lighting, but I actually need to light my cards for this one.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read.

Dylan

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 11.49.55 AM.png (637.7 KB)
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 11.50.04 AM.png (733.7 KB)

Staff
5156 posts
In the principled shader, set the IOR to 1 and that should get rid of the glancing reflection.
4 posts
Changing the IOR doesn't seem to do anything. I turned all reflections off anyway, so it shouldn't be a glancing reflection.

Edit: I was using the wrong shader. It works with the principled shader. Still don't know why, but it fixed my problem! Thanks so much!
Edited by dgani - Dec. 14, 2018 14:47:03
  • Quick Links