H16 Node

3261   7   1
79 posts
In Houdini 15.x and previous versions you used to be able to hit the display options in the network view to be able to see which nodes were created by a user and which nodes were created via script. Does that functionality still exist in H16 with the new network viewer?
Staff
4438 posts
Are you referring to the “Operator Names” display options set to “Show Shelf Tool Names”? If so, no, that functionality does not exist in H16. I must admit I'm not really sure how that information is useful?
79 posts
It is quite useful to know whether or not an artist manually dropped a node down or if it was created via a script or shelftool.
Staff
4438 posts
I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be difficult here, but how is it useful? It's basically a distinction between the node being created by hitting Tab in the viewport vs hitting Tab in the network editor. When you look at a hip file a week after it was created (or a file created by another user), what do you do with that information? In what way do you treat the nodes differently based on this distinction?
4189 posts
On a slightly related note - can we see the time when the node is created?

It would help when you have a long chain of nodes, from viewport modelling, then you go back and insert some nodes at the top of the network which causes some parts of the rest of the procedural tree to break or doesn't work correctly anymore.

It would be easy to debug if you could see which are the newer nodes.
7759 posts
Create/modification time is in the node info window.
Edited by jsmack - April 22, 2017 02:13:43
4189 posts
Oh cool! Didn't see that! 4k monitor and Houdini on MacOS is tiny! Would be better if it could be a badge next to the nodes.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - April 22, 2017 02:35:41
158 posts
So “Show Shelf Tool Names” is gone for good? I was just looking for it in 17…
Edited by sascha - Jan. 7, 2019 03:39:23
  • Quick Links