Redshift rendering of Vellum Grains only, in same Sim as Vellum Cloth

2157   4   1
30 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm struggling to render only the grains from a Vellum sim with, which also contains Cloth geo.

The sim is being done at Dop level, with a single solver.

With Redshift, I understand you must instance geo onto the grain sim points. However I cannot work out how to avoid the instancing of also the Cloth sim geo, which is a part of the Vellum_io.

I began exploring perhaps using groups to achieve this, but haven't had any luck as of yet.

Any help on how to render only the points of the Vellum sim which are grain, would be hugely appreciated!

I've attached the working file in case this helps.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Redshift_GrainRenderIssue.hip (1.2 MB)

280 posts
I tried to look at your files to help you and then windows update decided that it would be a good idea to delete my nvidia drivers and basically ended without a computer for a long time…
However, for the quick look i took I figure you could separate the vellum cloth geometry into one obj and the instance points into another. using object merge. you can then instance only the points and leave the cloth untouched. Basically separate the instanced geo from the vellum cloth into 2 separate object.

Hope this helps.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8408875/ [www.imdb.com]
30 posts
Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for the help. And yes Windows certainly does like to update at the worst times!

It's a little difficult to understand exactly how to achieve this. I need to have both the Grain and Cloth solving using the same Vellum solver, and this spits out a single output. I'm struggling to see how using an object merge, that I can separate the points to instance for the grain. I've attached a screen cap of the geo sop, dop net, as well as the geo out sop to show the current set up.

Thanks again for your help. I have the sim working as I'd like, it's just getting this instancing working in order to render the particles in Redshift.
Edited by starion83 - Jan. 7, 2019 19:19:26

Attachments:
Capture1.JPG (76.1 KB)
Capture2.JPG (62.3 KB)
Capture3.JPG (46.6 KB)

8538 posts
after vellumpostprocess you should still have all your groups and since each Vellum Source DOP creates its own stream you can just:
- append Blast SOP
- set group name to stream_Geo_Grain_vellum or stream_Geo_Cloth_vellum
- click Delete Non Selected

to isolate just geo from the source you are interested in
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
Thanks so much Tomas! That did the trick!
  • Quick Links