Simple HDA works in Unreal, but not in Unity

3263   5   0
11 posts
I've been struggling all day with a really simple issue.

I have a HDA that takes an input curve, and extrudes a piece of geo. Nothing very sophisticated (there's a bevel, and a couple of remesh nodes, but that's about it)

It works just fine in Unreal 4.20:

But exactly the same asset, with the same Houdini install in Unity 18.3 doesn't:

The engine version is 17.0.416 (limited commercial).

The error is in the Unity screenshot:
Cooking finished with some errors for asset
No geometry generated!

How do I start troubleshooting this? Looks like a bug with the Unity engine - but if it is, it's a fairly major one, so I'd be surprised if that's the answer.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Attachments:
unreal_polyExtrude.JPG (317.8 KB)
unity_polyExtrude.JPG (265.3 KB)

571 posts
Could you try opening up the session in Houdini and checking out what has been generated as display geo? To do so, in Unity, from HoudiniEngineUnity menu > Debug > Open scene in Houdini. This will save the current session to a .hip file then load your Houdini application with it.

I am seeing some warnings about invalid faces and vertex colors in the Unreal log. Perhaps its just ignoring those, and the Unity plugin isn't. Its possible the geometry isn't valid for Unity's mesh system, but it should complain in that case.

You can also attach your HDA and I can take a quick look.
571 posts
Also, note that No geometry generated error is coming from Houdini itself, so make sure you are providing correct inputs.
11 posts
Hello - really appreciate the help.

I opened the scene in Houdini, and (as you suggested) it didn't show any geo. Adding a null as an input fixed the issue in Houdini, though I'm not entirely sure why this would be needed, since the original .HDA had an attached input, too.

In Unity, I therefore added an additional input manually under the ‘input nodes’ tab. This still gives the same “no geometry created” error, but DOES create something:

Only the outline, though - and assigning a different material doesn't do anything.

Seems like I'm getting something very basic, very wrong. My .HDA is attached (limited commercial license):

Be great if you could point me in the right direction.
Edited by Scribbler - Jan. 6, 2019 20:07:54

Attachments:
unity_update.JPG (228.9 KB)
polygon_extrude2.hdalc (21.7 KB)

571 posts
You should supply a non-empty curve in your HDA, instead of leaving it empty (just supply some default curve points). Also removing the required input from the HDA allows it to work properly. With the expected input, but not actually supplying any, the node is failing to cook properly.
Edited by seelan - Jan. 7, 2019 17:23:35
11 posts
I’ll try this weekend - but wanted to thank you for the quick reply.

Appreciate the help!
  • Quick Links