Edit SOP Transforms

1408   2   1
169 posts
Why do edit sops lose their transforms after you move on from them? Is there a way to get them back.

So to clarify, I put down an edit sop, select some points, do a transform, let's say Y=3 and move on. Then, I come back to the edit sop to edit the transform (increase, decrease etc) but while the point selection is there in the group, the transform is wiped clean. Y shows as 0, even though clearly the points edited are still at Y=3.

How can I get it back?

Thanks
Edited by firefly9000 - Jan. 11, 2019 09:51:17
Winter is coming!
8516 posts
Edit SOP will not lose the transform values just by doing that
the edit will be committed and values reset however if you select other points or press Commit button, maybe something else

but not just by selecting other nodes and then coming back to the edit at later time

but yes, always keep in mind that Edit is for tweaking and all commited edits are stored in the geometry delta data which lives on the node
the UI reflects just the last live Edit that has not been commited yet, so in theory can be used procedurally as a transform, but it may be dangerous

use Transform SOP or Soft Transform SOP if you want to apply transform to a group of points instead
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
169 posts
tamte
Edit SOP will not lose the transform values just by doing that
the edit will be committed and values reset however if you select other points or press Commit button, maybe something else

but not just by selecting other nodes and then coming back to the edit at later time

but yes, always keep in mind that Edit is for tweaking and all commited edits are stored in the geometry delta data which lives on the node
the UI reflects just the last live Edit that has not been commited yet, so in theory can be used procedurally as a transform, but it may be dangerous

use Transform SOP or Soft Transform SOP if you want to apply transform to a group of points instead

Thank you for the heads up. Was expecting it to be procedural and therefore have access to these edits, but now I understand. Sometimes they'd work, I'd come back later and still have the info there for editing… but lately, especially in 17, they just blank out as soon as I move on.

I'll try the other sops. Thanks again
Winter is coming!
  • Quick Links