Wire Solver Speed

1523   2   1
310 posts
I'm wondering what parameters are suggested to increase the speed without losing much accuracy for wire solver sims. I'm doing a hair simulation on top of a head collision object, and so far the parameters I've experienced with to decrease the sim time are Solver Tolerance, Solver substeps, changing the spatial scale, reducing the max collision resolve, changed the type of collision handling, as well as changed how the collision geometry I chose was being interpreted (SDF, Local Geometric, Global Geometric). While I was able to get a reduced sim time by reducing the maximum collision resolve, that made my sim a lot less clean. I'm wondering if anyone has any other tips, since I feel like I've tried everything on the wire solver/object with no good improvements.

Thank you

And yes, I plan to implement vellum for these tasks in the future, but right now, it doesn't seem much faster for wire stuff even if it is GPU accelerated.
79 posts
I assume vellum uses openCL, so the faster the GPU you have the better. Do you have a scene so we can analyze?
310 posts
Thanks for the reply. I got some a lot better and faster results using vellum. I had to get a working vellum hair file to figure out the differences, and found one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cere3CnYRYU [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links