create pt at prim center (transfer @N?)

2600   5   0
1004 posts
Hi!

in a primitive wrangle, I created a point at the center of each primitive. I wanted to use setpointattrib() function to set the @N of the new point to match the primitive. I understand that setpointattrib only works on input points but doesn't work with points created in the wrangle with the addpoint function.

How can I easily set the @N of the new point to match its primitive's @N?

-Olivier
8516 posts
olivierth
I understand that setpointattrib only works on input points but doesn't work with points created in the wrangle with the addpoint function
why wouldn't it? Primwrangle:
int pt = addpoint(0, @P);
vector N = prim_normal(0, @primnum, .5, .5);
setpointattrib(0, "N", pt, N);
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
1004 posts
I was trying something similar but it did not work. I thought the “setpointattrib(0, ”N“, pt, N);” would not work since the “0” is telling it to set the attribute on the input geometry. Not on the wrangle created points… ?!

Here's a screengrab I did before changing my code (forgot to copy paste in the forum). What was wrong in my code?

Thanks for the help.

-Olivier

Attachments:
Create_center_point_with_N.JPG (79.2 KB)

8516 posts
notice that you are adding your point to geometry referenced by handle 0
so you can also set it as 0 will contain that point, well, maybe not exactly what is happening, but you can think of it that way, obviously it will not work with anything else than 0 at this point

you've put “primN” in there instead of primN

so it will make your N string attribute and set value of “primN” everywhere
but ig you put primN, which is vector variable, it would create vector attribute N with value contained in primN variable per point
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8516 posts
notice that you are adding your point to geometry referenced by handle 0
so you can also set it as 0 will contain that point, well, maybe not exactly what is happening, but you can think of it that way, obviously it will not work with anything else than 0 at this point

you've put “primN” in there instead of primN

so it will make your N string attribute and set value of “primN” everywhere
but ig you put primN, which is vector variable, it would create vector attribute N with value contained in primN variable per point
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
1004 posts
ah! the quotation marks!

Many of my mistakes are silly things like that.

Thanks!

-Olvier
  • Quick Links