[SOLVED] Reference grid, always shaded

969   2   1
39 posts
Hi everybody,

I'd like one object in the scene, a simple grid with a mapped reference image, to always remain shaded, even if I press W to go wireframe.

Can it be done?

I am aware that traditionally reference images are handled through a viewport's background. This makes sense if the reference images are orthogonal views of the object being modeled.

Unfortunately the object in my image is not axis-aligned (think almost isometric) and I need to be able to rotate and stretch the grid so that I can work on an axis-aligned object while the reference image isn't.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Kind regards, Manu
Edited by manu3d - Jan. 21, 2019 07:44:05
678 posts
Hey manu3d,

unfortunately, as far as I know, it cant be done…
you can make the object you are working on display as wireframe by creating a detail wrangler running this snippet:
i@gl_wireframe = 1;

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Jan. 21, 2019 05:52:16
39 posts
Thank you for the effort CYTE, I think I found it. It was a bit of a gotcha coming from Maya and Softimage.

Templated nodes will remain visible even if one presses W to go wireframe, the behaviour I was looking for. However, this is the case only if you are within a geometry network, not at the scene level. That's the part the was confusing to me. Templated nodes didn't seem to work at scene level.

So, as long as the image is on a grid within the same network as the object you are modelling and the grid is templated (pink flag on the node), it works.
  • Quick Links