Is there someone using Houdini with xorg-7.0?

15072   16   3
14 posts
I'm the one using xorg-7.0, all seems fine, but the houdini interface controls are all black, look the attachment, what's the problem?

Attachments:
black.png (12.0 KB)

Welcome to ChinaVFX [chinavfx.net]
28 posts
I don't know anything about a solution, but having just switched from xorg 6.8.2 to xorg 7.0 on Gentoo, my Houdini install exhibits the same behaviour.
581 posts
Avoid to use the new xorg version.
I think that NVidia, and of course ATI drivers are not updated to that version and don't work correctly.
Maybe this is your problem.
Use only well tested versions not the newest.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
16 posts
I think that NVidia, and of course ATI drivers are not updated to that version and don't work correctly.

This doesn't seem the issue to me, i have just updated to xorg 7 on my laptop which has an intel gfx card and houdini apprentice behaves just the same.

It would be nice to have this working in xorg7 :'(
Staff
5156 posts
It looks like the symbolic color for the background doesn't exist. Try editing the following file:

$HFS/houdini/config/resources.std

and changing the BackgroundColor entry from grey62 to grey60 or “#9E 9E 9E” (ignore quotes). If this fixes the problem, change the remaining grey62 colors as well. If other colors are black, try the same treatment with them (find a close color, or encode it using RGB hex triplets).

—–

How to encode in RGB hex:

take the 0-100 % of the color (for grey62, 62%) = G

Dec = (G/100) * 255
Convert Dec -> Hex
(divide by 16, 0-9 = 0-9, 10=A, 11=B, 12=C, 13, 14=E, 15=F - that's the leftmost digit; take the remainder after dividing by 16 and map it to the same 0-9/A-F range for the rightmost. 62 has Dec 158, 158/16 = 9, remainder 14 or E : 9E).

Yes, that's not very friendly :shock:, which is why it has been fixed for the next version.
28 posts
I tried making some of the suggested changes for a few of the more prominent colors, and it seems to fix things. Now I just wish that I knew enough awk to automate the replacement process…

Thanks for the help!
16 posts
Ok everyone, this has quite an easy solution after all.

Basically, Houdini can't find the rgb.txt file so for anyone having this issue simply create a symbolic link in $HFS to the rgb.txt file that lies somewhere in the xorg7 dir. Here's how i actually did it

$> locate rgb.txt (which gave me the result “/usr/X11R7/share/X11/rgb.txt”)
$> ln -si /usr/X11R7/share/X11/rgb.txt $HFS/rgb.txt

This way you'll get regular colors without actually having to fiddle with resources.std file and HEX triplets.

Hope this makes some houdini friends happy. Cheers.
581 posts
Well, finally the solution is quite easy.
Can any xorg 7 user talk about the performance of the nvidia drivers with this version?
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
7710 posts
Houdini uses the following hardcoded path: /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt
Does /usr/lib/X11R7/rgb.txt exist?
581 posts
edward
Houdini uses the following hardcoded path: /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt
Does /usr/lib/X11R7/rgb.txt exist?
Maybe it could be solved adding some lines to the setup script that looks for the rgb.txt is installed file in the standar directories, or wehere X is installed, and Houdini uses a global var to locate it?
Using harcoded paths is the best way in some situations.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
4140 posts
Well, this is really a very basic thing - and if Xorg was responsible for changing the location I'd be a little surprised. I've not been able to google any outraged users out there, which would be clue number one. I've caught some specific instances where end users have been making links to /usr/lib/X11 in order to get stuff working, but not really exactly like this. I'm suspecting it's not Xorg per se, but the distribution-flavoured release of it, although only Steve can answer that. Perhaps a Gentoo release issue?

The answer to Andrew's question would be useful. In the end, Houdini shouldn't have to point anywhere new, unless the basic X organization has altered, which would be a big deal and would cause a lot of broken apps.

I love standards.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
14 posts
Yes, the rgb.txt thing is a gentoo issue.

the rgb.txt path for gentoo is changed to /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt,

and also, make link to this file in $HFS does not help any ..
4140 posts
You wouldn't make any links in $HFS, according to what I've read so far, as root you'd enter something like:

ln -s /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt

and that should deal with it. If the entire /usr/lib/X11 structure isn't there, then you'd have to make it just for this purpose. What an stupid change for Gentoo to make - I can only hope it's a mistake.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
14 posts
It's not a mistake in gentoo, seems gentoo must install this file into /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt

BTW, I think there must be some api to get the rgb path in xorg.

And, modular xorg means I do NOT need to compile all components for xorg running? right? then not install all, the app should do the change.

just my opinion

And, if xorg need rgb.txt, there is another way to get the content of this file right?
21 posts
hmm, I have a sym link in /usr/lib/X11 for rgb.txt but it still doesnt work:

/usr/lib/X11$ ls -l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-06-03 08:31 fonts
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 2006-06-03 08:37 rgb.txt -> /etc/X11/rgb.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-06-03 08:37 x11perfcomp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2006-06-03 08:31 xkb -> /etc/X11/xkb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-06-03 08:37 xsm

Still have the same problem. I'm not sure this is where the problem lies.
39 posts
It didn't work for me either but I did a link in /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/ and it fixed all the color issues. You'll have to create the folders if they arent there.

-Victor
65 posts
Basically, the rgb.txt file is not where it should be for this version of houdini or the location has been changed by X (Xorg).

The way I resolved this problem was by finding the rgb.txt file
and copying it into my $HOME/houdini8.1/

So I simply did this

1) cd /
2) find . -print | grep -i rgb.txt

eventually it should print out something like “/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt”,
you can then simply..

3) cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt $HOME/houdini8.1/

That should do it… (if not, copy the same file into the houdini install home, eg /opt/hfs81../)

Good luck..
  • Quick Links