Options for Creating Custom Geometry Node

1220   2   1
12 posts
What are my options for creating a custom geometry node for use in the geometry context?

I have successfully made a digital asset out of a single point wrangle node that creates custom geometry from scratch. Is this the best way to go about creating a custom geometry node? When I select “New Asset” from the file menu there are a lot of options. I believe what I have created though the node layout is the same as creating an asset with a definition of “Subnetwork” and a type of “Geometry”. Are there any other asset definitions and types that will allow me to create a custom geometry node? Which is the recommended way and what are the benefits? I'm also Curious about the HDK. Is is reasonable to create geometry via that route?

Any advice is appreciated!
7760 posts
Geometry node assets are only either subnet or python type. There used to be an old ‘vex’ type that is hidden/obsolete.

The HDK can also be used to build nodes using C++ code, but they are not considered digital assets.
12 posts
Thank you for Responding jsmack. As you can probably tell, I'm new to Houdini. Loving it too. Good to know that there are only two ways to do this aside from writing c++, which I did not want to get into. I may look into Python down the line, but for now subnets are working fine.

Thanks again!
  • Quick Links