Learning path: RIGGING IN HOUDINI 16+

35610   72   10
9 posts
BTW amazing tutorial Michael G, I am going thru it wright now. Please help us to be liberated from the Aoutodesk prison in to the blissful realm of Houdini
9 posts
Problem Ik Fk Blend not working Houdini 17
I have same problem as benek user mentioned above. The blend switching do not work in houdini 17. Please look at the file . houdini-17.0.459-win64-vc141
Please help
Edited by AtiSphere - Feb. 6, 2019 17:08:29

Attachments:
problem_ik_fk_blend.hiplc (992.8 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
please try the latest daily build - Houdini 17.0.485 - and let me know if it's still an issue.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
9 posts
So I think I found what is the problem. In the tutorial you are using Houdini 16.5, when you are creating the constrains often the node have select and visibility flag off but in Houdini 17 when select and visibility flag are off there is strange creation of the Chop network and the constrain do not work. As soon as you enable the flags everything works fine.
Best regards Ati
51 posts
goldfarb
then another Series on Geometry Capturing/Painting Weights.
Is there still a plan for a series on Geometry Capturing/Painting Weights?
Staff
3455 posts
Bonassus
Is there still a plan for a series on Geometry Capturing/Painting Weights?
yep.
I don't have an ETA but it's being edited now.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
3 posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for this series, it's unlocking perspectives for everyone interested in Houdini character work, I guess.

I have a question regarding something which has not been tackled in any of the videos, though ( except if I missed it, which is still plausible, ah ah ):

How do you deal with IK/FK switch ( not blend ) ?

Meaning the ability to snap the FK on the IK and vice versa once one of the two has been animated ?

Is there any built-in tool for that in Houdini or does it have to run through CHOPS or Python ?

Thank you.
Staff
3455 posts
@lou78
if you build a default biped using the Autorig you'll see one way to set up IK/FK switching - it uses some scripts contained in the HDA to control how and when to switch.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
118 posts
@goldfarb, great series on riggin in Houdini. When I am finishing up the reverse foot rig, there is a script that goes into the L_ball_loc/rx channel. I keep getting this error when I type it in. Not sure how to input this Expression.

Has anyone else encountered this error?

{
        if (ch("../L_foot_roll") <= 5.0) {
        return (fit (ch ("../L_foot_roll"), 0, 5, 0, 60) + fit (ch ("../L_ball_offset"), 0, 10, 0, 60))
        }
        else if (ch ("../L_foot_roll") >= 5.0) {
        return (fit (ch ("../L_foot_roll"), 5, 10, 60, 0) + fit (ch ("../L_ball_offset"), 0, 10, 0, 60))
        }
}

It is at the 28 minute mark of the Rigging Series 06 video. This keeps giving me an error.

Error: Unable to evaluate expression (inline (8): Syntax error in expression
inline: Error parsing inline function
(/obj/F_Rig/L_ball_loc/rx)).

Glen
Edited by GlenD - July 9, 2019 14:32:13
Staff
3455 posts
you have:
ch ("../L_foot_roll") 

should be:
ch("../L_foot_roll") 

ch() is a function: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/expressions/ch.html [www.sidefx.com]

this is the expression I have in my working rig
{
if (ch("../R_foot_roll") <=5.0) {
return (fit ( ch("../R_foot_roll"), 0, 5, 0, 60) + fit( ch("../R_ball_offset"), 0, 10, 0, 60) );
}
else if (ch("../R_foot_roll") >=5.0) {
return ( fit ( ch("../R_foot_roll"), 5, 10, 60, 0) + fit( ch("../R_ball_offset"), 0, 10, 0, 60) ) ;
}
}
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
118 posts
@goldfarb Thank you, that worked! I forgot the semi-colon at the end of each line.

Glen
Edited by GlenD - July 9, 2019 21:26:26
118 posts
When I was setting up the IK for the arms and the legs I ran into a strange issue. I setup the IK based on the Left Arm video. FK is setup and then IK was setup. I setup the Blend constraint in the Constraints node. Then nothing happens when I translate L_arm_bone_goal. I saved the hda, quit Houdini. Opened Houdini, loaded hda and the IK L_arm_bone_goal works. Not sure why this happens, it just does.

Houdini 17.5.293
Windows 10 Pro

Glen
3 posts
Thank you Michael for the tip, I'll have a look.
  • Quick Links