Houdini height field alteration in Unity

2285   3   1
5 posts
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to alter an imported Houdini height field and height field nodes (for example applied noise, mask, erosion etc.) in Unity? If it is possible how do you go about it?

Or is it only possible to import a ‘fixed’ terrain from Houdini that can't be altered? What is then the suggested solution if I want to be able to do alteration to the terrain in Unity but need the data (for example for pathfinding to work or scattering trees) of the terrain to be accessible for other Houdini operations. Would Unity's terrain editor work so that I would be able to make a Unity terrain but access all the data I need from the terrain for the pathfinding as an example?

Thank you.
571 posts
Yes, you can modify the terrain in Unity via its terrain tools after exporting it from a heightfield. But if you recook the heightfield, it will overwrite any changes you made to the terrain on the Unity side.

Note that Unity terrain can also be used as input into HDAs, which then is brought into Houdini as heightfields.
5 posts
Thank you but I can't seem to get it to work. It's like the imported Houdini terrain doesn't respond to the Unity brush tools.
It is probably something easy I'm missing.

So what I've done is just create a Heightfield node in Houdini and given it size 1025x1025 and then made it to a Digital Asset that I import to Unity (I have also tried with and without adding a “Convert Heightfield” node to the Asset). I have my HDA in Unity and can see all the Unity brushes but it is like they are just ‘flat’ and aren't doing anything.

Could you maybe walk through a basic example of what steps to apply to a Heightfield in Houdini in order for it to work in Unity? I've tried looking at https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_terrain.html [www.sidefx.com] but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments:
TerrainHoudiniToUnityBrushes.png (828.3 KB)
TerrainHoudiniToUnityHDA_Data.png (821.2 KB)

5 posts
Hi again,

Managed to get the terrain working now in Unity with brushes Not sure what I managed to miss before, but what I do noticed is that the Heightfield needs an applied noise to be able to respond to the Unity brushes.
  • Quick Links