Bezier curves with handle

3945   7   0
22 posts
Hello,

Is there a way to draw a bezier curve using handle and tangent like in most 2D vector software ? This to manage tangents and angulus point.
Or is there a way to get a similar use ?

Thank you
Chris
4189 posts
I might have dreamt it but I hear that next weeks H17.5 show-and-tell has a new curve tool.
2036 posts
I know you mean having the actual ‘visual’ handles like in other software; But as far as functionality is concerned, the handles are already available in viewport to use and to make such things as ‘tangents’; along with identifying which ones in the string parameter list to get ‘exact’ tangents…just cumbersome to do so.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 27, 2019 20:13:59
22 posts
Ah ok. But H 17,5 could be very far may be…

In fact, I'm trying to create a cylinder primitive, in Bezier.
I would like to edit each row and each columns in Bezier mode. (with handles if possible :-))

Even if each bezier curve (row and columns) is in a separate panel, as soon as I can edit them precisely.

Any idea ?
Thanks

Chris
2036 posts
I have created a tool using vex and the vex polyspline function as its' basis to make ‘meshes’ of different object shapes and sizes that have their individual column/rows controllable.

I have found though that it's only necessary to use a controllable row or column to get a wide variety possible results.

I also made use of fit functions and ramp parameters to control each polyspline, rather than creating individual parameters for each spline; This approach allows for dynamic changes to the number of splines used to make up the mesh (its' resolution).

I could share such a tool here, but because it's a bit complicated - it might take too long to explain how to use it for what you want. But because I made the tool, it's easy to understand for myself.

I would suggest starting off with learning how to make your own single spline with vex and the corresponding parameter controls like for handles.( it won't have the same visual controls like in other software packages, but it will have the same functionality - although with H17 and some of its' newer python functions, it might be possible to have those visual controls somehow - but my python knowledge is limited so I really don't know if it's possible yet).

Getting a basic understanding of just making your own tool for a single spline, you can then move into a more elaborate tool to suit your needs.

You may also, if your purpose is simple enough make use of the Curve sop in conjunction with For Loop sop.

With the curve sop set to bezier, you can select the handles directly in the viewport (although they don't have lines drawn directly to the points they control - but with a bit of play it becomes obvious).

So you may have to go try a few different approaches to get what you want eventually.

Just start off with a very simple approach and see if you can incrementally make it more complex towards what you want - asking for feedback suggestions here base on your example hip file.

You may get/find a solution that is the easiest and simplest this way.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/spline.html [www.sidefx.com]
159 posts
Chrisd
Ah ok. But H 17,5 could be very far may be…

In fact, I'm trying to create a cylinder primitive, in Bezier.
I would like to edit each row and each columns in Bezier mode. (with handles if possible :-))

Even if each bezier curve (row and columns) is in a separate panel, as soon as I can edit them precisely.

Any idea ?
Thanks

Chris
Actually, H17.5 is coming just next week.
22 posts
Well, thank you Eric for the H17,5, I'll see if handles are well designed. Anyway, using the Bézier with CV is possible, even if it's not very easy.

And thank you BabaJ for the advises about vex. I don’t know at all Vex and probably I have to learn it. By the way, I think the handle are not the main problem. I found on Internet an add-on that does this and as I wrote for Eric, using Bézier with CV is not useful but the point show the handle in a way.

To really do what I want I’ve found another code that makes the BiRail that exists under Maya. But I’m looking for something like a 3 or 4Rail not only two. And I have to look at the code of the Birail if this is possible.

To come back to your suggestion about the Vex. I have to understand if Vex bring something to me about the 3-4 rail because the handles Béziers are finally secondary. And I have to see if I can control my rows and columns with a charm or not.

Last what a pity you don’t want to share your tools with just a little example. It seems it could solve my problem.
192 posts
dude check Matts answer on my super old post
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/40929/ [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links