Vellum and animations

4925   6   3
20 posts
Hi all,

I have been trying to wrap my head around this the whole weekend and still no luck so maybe someone can help me:

I am trying to use animated objects (primitives) that also use Vellum while there are animated.
I have seen some examples and tutorials on the internet but they all cover the regular RBD objects. I haven't seen a good tutorial done withe Vellum and animated objects.

I wanted to replicate the effect similar to the one showed in the link:
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=File:Wire_worms.gif
I am trying to create similar thing using Vellum and Vellum String constraint but I can't get it to work.

Did someone here get it to work?

Best regards,
Robert
143 posts
Hello Robert
I have made this set_up quickly
i had to randomize a bit the up direction because of the nature of vellum if the line are straight up at the beginning the grain just stack on top of each other…
Is it what you want ??

Benjamin

Attachments:
wire_worms.hiplc (1.2 MB)

20 posts
Hi Benjamin,

Exactly !
Thanks for a very quick reply and solution. I can see now where I made mistakes - I used group by bounding box to pin the points and placed it in the solver so everything was “almost” working except the fact that despite the “pin” group loosing its points during animation they still stayed pinned.
I thought I need to use the sop solver as the whole thing has to be updated every frame.
Thanks once again. That was very helpful.

Robert
143 posts
Hi robert !
The whole stuff is updated every frame ! Dive inside the vellum solver there's a wrangle .
The vellum solver initialize only on the first frame
You could have use a sop solver too.
Or transfer attribute in the wrangle with a sop input.
At least that's how i understand it
Benjamin
20 posts
Just one thing that I noticed - I tried to change the “thickness” attribute and when I set it to the values bigger than 0.01, for example 0.03 the noodles start to intersect and when I turn on Visualizer I can see that the 0.03 thickness is present only in the frame 0, and in frame 1 it goes back to the original one (0.01)and stays this way.
Should there also be some extra geometry wrangle in the solver taking care of the thickness?
143 posts
Yeah , because the thickness is also the pscale , distance between the point.
You can resample the lines to the value of desired pscale.
Vellum in the first frame is evaluating intersection between the grain and decreasing pscale if they intersect.
20 posts
Thank you sir - I will try this out.
A while later…
works like a charm.
Thank you for your help.
I really appreciate this.
Edited by robertX1974 - March 4, 2019 17:31:47
  • Quick Links