Houdini 17 new Pyro sourcing in Sop level << - very very difficult to use!! Please provide option for older pyro source as houdini 16.5

5141   4   2
36 posts
Hey Sidefx

Houdini 17 new Pyro sourcing in Sop level << - very very difficult to use!! Please provide option for older pyro source as houdini 16.5, the Fluid Source node.

i know you guys trying to make the pyro sourcing into particles/vdb, so that many new artist can use it, especially when dealing sub-step issue. But for production, the older pyro sourcing approaching was suitable for both lower-end to higher end production, and for mid/big production company, we know how to make our pyro sourcing calculating time lower enough to get through the farm.the Fluid Source node has a lots of advantage that the new Pyro sourcing in Houdini 17 DO NOT HAVE!!! please don't always thinking about the speed of calculation, the speed of production to pass through the client approved, is also very important. <- the new pyro sourcing in houdini 17, will slow this down.

May be some client told you guys it's very slow on older Fluid Source node,if this is true, that means, they don't know how to use it.

As 16 years experience on Houdini pyro system, and previous sidefx inter at Toronto office, Please Please bring back the Fluid Source node as an option in future Houdini release.

many thanks.
731 posts
It's still there, it's just hidden. Open a textport and type “opcf /obj/yourojbect ; opadd fluidsource”

To see a list of all SOPs, (hidden or not), just type “opadd”

To unhide the fluid source, you can add a line like this in your 456.cmd:
opunhide fluidsource

To see all the hidden nodes, just type “opunhide” in an hscript textport.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
948 posts
nran
Hey Sidefx

Houdini 17 new Pyro sourcing in Sop level << - very very difficult to use!! Please provide option for older pyro source as houdini 16.5, the Fluid Source node.

i know you guys trying to make the pyro sourcing into particles/vdb, so that many new artist can use it, especially when dealing sub-step issue. But for production, the older pyro sourcing approaching was suitable for both lower-end to higher end production, and for mid/big production company, we know how to make our pyro sourcing calculating time lower enough to get through the farm.the Fluid Source node has a lots of advantage that the new Pyro sourcing in Houdini 17 DO NOT HAVE!!! please don't always thinking about the speed of calculation, the speed of production to pass through the client approved, is also very important. <- the new pyro sourcing in houdini 17, will slow this down.

May be some client told you guys it's very slow on older Fluid Source node,if this is true, that means, they don't know how to use it.

As 16 years experience on Houdini pyro system, and previous sidefx inter at Toronto office, Please Please bring back the Fluid Source node as an option in future Houdini release.

many thanks.

So far I didn't have any issues with the new pyro source.
Can you give a little bit more detail about the pros and cons on your experience I think that would be really helpful.

Thanks.
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
33 posts
nran
the Fluid Source node has a lots of advantage that the new Pyro sourcing in Houdini 17 DO NOT HAVE!!! please don't always thinking about the speed of calculation, the speed of production to pass through the client approved, is also very important. <- the new pyro sourcing in houdini 17, will slow this down.

Can I ask an example? I haven't used the new pyro sourcing a lot if not for the common stuff, but I haven't noticed any downsides if not that the workflow is a little bit different from before
FX Artist - Scanline VFX
28 posts
Im curious myself - how do we replicate the function of the fluid source sop?
One really useful feature was to input a geometry primitive like a sphere.
The fluid source would then convert this into a density , add noise, add velocity and add curlnoise - and this was ready to go for a dopnet sim. One sop solution. i cannot begin to find an elegant method to match this. There are bunch of sops like point velocity, and also pyro source, and volume source, non of which will take a sphere as a source.
  • Quick Links