Tutorial on Look-at constraints

1358   4   0
5 posts
Hey folks,

I've been trying to wrap my head around look-at constraints recently, reading the documentary about it, following the advice in older threads, etc. But I simply can't seem to figure out how to set-up a proper look-at constraints node, so my camera just follows an object.
I would like to create a simple turntable and I am really frustrated that after 2 days I still did not figure it out. I am sorry for asking a question that has been asked countless times before, but I am a beginner and I really want to finally be able to set it up in a correct way.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or, even better, has a tutorial on how to properly set it up? Especially a video tutorial would be greatly appreciated, however, I haven't found one yet.

I'd be very grateful for help.

Best,
Philipp
164 posts
If you go into your cameras parameter interface and then toggle the ‘show invisible parameters’ you'll see the ‘look at’ controls. Tick them to make them visible. Then you can drop in your target object. This all works at object rather than SOP level.

To be honest I find cameras pretty unwieldy in Houdini although this could just be my inexperience.

Attachments:
Look at.hiplc (81.8 KB)

http://simonfarussell.com [simonfarussell.com]
5 posts
Hey Simon,

Sorry for the late reply. I am very grateful for your answer and that you went the extra mile to set up a little scene.
I believe the way you described is actually the old way, at least that's what I've seen in an old tutorial. Probably that's why it is hidden.

Do you happen to know how to set it up with the modernized way using a Look-at constraint? (Or anyone else for that matter?)

Best,
Philipp
Staff
3455 posts
have a look at this.

Attachments:
look_at.mp4 (593.8 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
5 posts
Hey goldfarb,

This video is gold (no pun intended)! Thank you so much!
  • Quick Links