Q: How to set the pivot point on an Object

1411   2   1
7025 posts
So, this seems like the absolute most basic thing to do when animating but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I simply want to interactively set the pivot point for rotations by clicking in the viewport.

I can easily set the temporary pivot point on a handle by using Ins or single tick (') but that's pretty much useless as is doesn't actually set the Pivot parameter on the object and resets as soon as you switch to Transform mode etc. If you do rotate it actually sets the Translate and Rotate values, which isn't even close to what you'd want when animating.

I looked in the help, but the only help I could find is a reference to a Shelf tool “Move Pivot to Center (sic)” that just resets the parm on the object to the centre.

How does one click in the viewport and change the pivot value on the Object so it's persistent? This is something Maya does trivially:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Basics/files/GUID-150B390E-840B-4FE3-B8E9-8DEBCE7CEC97-htm.html [knowledge.autodesk.com]

and I could do in Softimage 20+ years ago

Apologies if I'm missing something, I did try to look in the help…

At the moment it appears the _only way_ to set this is to actually type numbers into the Object parms! I'm pretty technical and I find this a bit artist-hostile, I can't imagine what a real animator would make of this

17.5.173 Linux

Cheers,

Peter B
Edited by pbowmar - March 17, 2019 13:23:58
1755 posts
I'm not sure I understand your problem. When I use ‘ins’ hotkey to transform an object's pivot, it does just that - it modifies the values of the object's pivot transformation values.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - March 17, 2019 14:49:06
7025 posts
Yes, how embarrassing. I clearly misread the docs and saw single tick (temp handle move) as the same.

I shall back away slowly in shame…
  • Quick Links