"simple" bone capture?

2402   4   1
126 posts
I think this is “easy” but i can't seem to wrap my head around what I'm supposed to do!

I've got a character I imported from Maya (FBX) and it works just fine!
Now, I'd like to attach some anatomy to said character using the bones imported from the FBX.
In this case it's a spine mesh.

When I try to use the “capture geometry” shelf tool I get a warning on the “Bone capture lines” of “No capture regions were found from the given parent.”

Then I get an error on the “bone capture biharmonic” of:
Error: Missing boneCapture point attribute
Error: Failed to compute weights

And my mesh disappears!

There's just four bones coming in from the FBX that currently deform the character mesh as expected. All I want to do is have the new spinal column mesh follow/deform that!

Any tips, pointers, greatly appreciated!
Staff
3455 posts
try selecting the nulls instead of the bones.
in order to convert from a ‘joint’ based rig to ‘bones’ we add the needed cregion to the null
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
109 posts
I just ran into this problem and it was because the Max Triangle scale was too low by default. I bumped it up to .02 and my mesh came back and all is well.

Hope this helps someone.
407 posts
I'm running into the same issues attaching some geometry to the Nulls of an FBX file.

I tried all kind of things, just like increasing the "Min Triangle scale" in the "Tet_Embed" SOP ( can't find a "Max Triangle scale" setting, so I assume it's a typo ? )

I tried attaching a bone to the Null, and capturing the bone as a test, but same difference : "error, points have no assigned weights"

Does anyone know the secret to simply using some an imported FBX rig in Houdini ?

Thanks.
Edited by toonafish - Feb. 13, 2023 13:48:32
407 posts
... so then I manually add a "capture" and "bonedeform" SOP to the geometry.

Great, now some of the points are captured and deforming. But a lot are still static.

So I figure the capture "regions" are not covering the static points, but strangely enough when I edit the regions involved it works exactly the opposite way one would expect, all the points covered by the regions I adjusted, are added to the static ones and are no longer deformed.

Also editing the "bonecapture" weights of the points in the spreadsheet editor has no effect whatsoever. It tells me the BoneCapture weight to the proper Null is 100% ( 1.0 ) but it's not deformed at all.

The strange logic of Houdini...
  • Quick Links