Looking for information on why Houdini does not support runtime cooking / animating inside Unity.

2995   4   2
3 posts
I know there is probably a valid reason for why this is not possible I'm just super curious why its not?

Thanks!
571 posts
Supporting runtime in Houdini Engine requires quite a few things and has limitations that make it unfeasible at this time. The main argument against it from a business case is that using it at runtime will require a Houdini or Houdini Engine license. As such, it limits the usefulness to niche projects. From a technical point of view, the runtime version of the plugin will require a streamlined, lightweight geometry generation path that is separate from the regular Editor-based generation path which deals with such things as editor scene serialization, persistent resource file generation, parameter caching, undo support, tools support, etc.

Someone resourceful can write a streamlined, lightweight runtime version of the plugin themselves leveraging the plugin source code, or directly on top of HAPI to maximize performance, with a focus on the features that they really need. I don't think all of the plugins features are needed at runtime.

Currently the goal of the plugin development is to support the new features being introduced by Houdini and Unity, and maintenance of the existing codebase. This is what most of the users are asking for.
603 posts
seelan
The main argument against it from a business case is that using it at runtime will require a Houdini or Houdini Engine license.

Just want to be sure I understand this point, if a Game was made with a Houdini Engine runtime variant, each invocation of that Game executable would need a Houdini Engine license to be able to run it, correct?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
571 posts
Yes. The plugin only works with a Houdini Engine session, which requires a Houdini / Houdini Engine license. Therefore any time someone launches the game and it uses the plugin, it will ask for a Houdini / Houdini Engine license.
2 posts
Hi there!

@seelan: But why a runtime version of Houdini Engine would need a license in the first place? I mean, it's the end user which is NOT making any money with it.

Being able to package editable digital assets at runtime, I can see that opening up doors for using houdini engine beyond games.
  • Quick Links