animation editor: change tangent type to one keyframe only

4502   10   3
129 posts
Hello everyone.
very basic question, I hope someone can help me. I want to change tangent type (for example bezier to linear) to some keyframes in the animation editor, but using the dropdown menu Houdini converts an entire segment, and not only the selected keyframes. I'm showing what I'm trying to do in the attached video using Maya.
Thank you

Ray
Edited by madrenderman - March 25, 2019 08:28:48

Attachments:
curves.mp4 (1.4 MB)

7737 posts
The function type is a property of the segment, not the keyframe.

Edit, after watching your video, you are looking for a way to automatically match the tangents to the slope. I'm not sure if there is a way to do that.
Edited by jsmack - March 25, 2019 14:43:57
7709 posts
Does selecting the slope and hitting 9 help?
129 posts
9 is the same as “flat tangents” in Maya, if there was also “spline”, “linear” and “stepped” I would have solved the problem
Staff
124 posts
this probably isn't exactly what you're asking for, but you can break tangent continuity at the first keyframe, and then use the ease-out segment type.

Attachments:
seg_ease_out.mp4 (363.1 KB)

john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
7709 posts
madrenderman
9 is the same as “flat tangents” in Maya, if there was also “spline”, “linear” and “stepped” I would have solved the problem

9 in Houdini's animation editor is to do “smooth” slopes, which is to adjust the slope so that it's in the direction between the two adjacent keys, unless both keys are above/below it, in which case it goes “flat” to avoid overshoot.
Edited by edward - March 26, 2019 00:08:13
129 posts
Thank you guys, there is some workaround but it's not the same function as Maya and I think it's really important for keyframe animation work, I sent a feature request to sidefx support, fingers crossed
Staff
476 posts
Please check in the next builds 17.0.533 or 17.5.208.

I added Set Selected Slopes to Linear to the Animation Editor.
It isn't exposed yet as a button, but you can get to it from the Edit menu or the right click menu.
It is also bound to the ‘8’ key.
So, ‘8’ makes a slope linear, ‘9’ smooth the selected slopes and ‘0’ zeros the slope.
If you have both ends of a slope selected, the out slope will be used.
If you want to break the slopes, you can select a slope handle and hit ‘T’ to tie/untie.
129 posts
Wow, what a support ! Thank you I'm looking forward to test the new build
Staff
476 posts
Did it work? I received a forum notification by mail, but it seems the message was deleted.
Edited by Guillaume - March 29, 2019 15:35:25
620 posts
Guillaume
Did it work? I received a forum notification by mail, but it seems the message was deleted.

“Makes a slope linear” seemed has some bugs in 18.0.509.
Select first key frame may cause slope accel to NAN.
Edited by jerry7 - July 4, 2020 10:35:10
  • Quick Links