Exporting Model to Rhino3D

3117   4   1
7 posts
I am not familiar with the types of surfaces: mesh, polygon, or NURBS, etc. When exporting my model from Houdini to Rhino3D, the surfaces triangulated. I have exported them into OBJ file from Houdini. Not sure if the surfaces are mesh, polygon or NURBS, but they look like meshes in Rhino. Please help. I would like to know if the surfaces need to be converted before exporting, or if I should be using another file format. Thank you!

In Houdini:

In Rhino:

Attachments:
02 Merge Coplanar.PNG (374.4 KB)
03 Meshed.JPG (92.3 KB)

69 posts
Is it a nurbs model or a mesh that you want to import into Rhino?

To see if its a mesh or a nurbs geometry in Rhino, click on the geometry in Rhino and then click on properties (usually on the right side of the screen - the icon is a colorful circle). Under Object and Type it should say either mesh or polysurface. It sure looks like mesh however.

It would be easier to help you out if you would attach your Houdini file
7 posts
Hi albinioni, thanks for the help. Appreciate all the help I can get because I have been trying many different methods for a while now. You're right, on Rhino the geometry appears to be mesh. Here's the file, I've frozen just a selected few geometries because the main file is too huge.

Look forward to your reply. Thanks again!

Attachments:
20190327 - Exporting.hip (322.5 KB)

69 posts
Try exporting the model as an .igs-file from Houdini if you want it as a NURBS geometry in Rhino. And remember to select NURBS as primitive type on your geometry in Houdini.
Edited by albinioni - March 28, 2019 02:48:09
2036 posts
I'm just wondering if it's a Houdini Bug or they haven't yet wrote in their conversion code to include bezier/nurbs curve when using a file cache sop to export.(from reading other sources it appears the obj format does support bezier/nurbs).

When you try to save out an .obj of a nurbs/bezier it automatically converts it to polylines, preventing one from saving out to obj as a nurbs/bezier.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 27, 2023 10:14:23
  • Quick Links